Short drive with only one driveshaft?

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 pm

with reference to towing a +2, the problem is where do you attach the tow rope.

If you have a Spyder chassis, then there is a tow loop on the underside leading edge of the front crossmember/vacuum tank, this allows a rope to be attached that with care won't damage the underside of the nose/front valance.

2021-05-20 13.55.19.jpg and

The original pattern chassis doesn't have this, but maybe you could attach the tow rope to a block of timber then tie this to the crossmember so that the tow rope stays as low as possible.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Magnus+2 » Thu May 20, 2021 1:28 pm

Absolutely, gather some people and push it is absolutely a way to do it. :D
Magnus+2
New-tral

PostPost by: Lotusian » Thu May 20, 2021 5:34 pm

If you don’t have enough strong neighbours, get a cheap hand-operated winch (eBay UK has them for £30 max - must be something similar where you are), bolt it low down on the garage wall or on the floor, attach ropes to each anti-roll bar front mounting so as to clear the underside of the nose, and haul it in.
Essential to get a helper to sit in the car ready to apply the brakes in case of some unforeseen disaster.
Ian
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Magnus+2 » Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Again, good advice. Thanks a lot. It is an original chassies so I dont have any loop to fasten a rope. Timber is a good idea, it might work. I have come to the conclusion that it is probably best if the car is picked up by a workshop with a trailer. Well, I will not have the rotoflexes ever again. Regards Magnus
Magnus+2
New-tral

PostPost by: billwill » Thu May 20, 2021 9:00 pm

The differential gear at the back will simply let the unconnected stub output spin without allowing any power to the wheel that still has a drive shaft.

If you could somehow prevent the 'free' shaft from spinning you might be able to move the car slowly, but it would be very dangerous.

Or as mentioned above with acronyms, if you had a limited slip differential gear iin the rear box you could probably move it slowly, but such diffs are not normally fitted on road-going cars.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Thu May 20, 2021 10:31 pm

Going back to your original post of 10m up a steep drive as a temporary measure before trailering for repair.
Manpower is the way forward but with no gears or handbrake to hold it in place it might not be so easy.
So I agree with your decision to get it trailered from where it stands.
Last edited by MarkDa on Fri May 21, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu May 20, 2021 11:00 pm

billmoore42 wrote:Mangus:
Would love to know how old the Rotoflex coupling that failed was if you know. I just put in new ones from R Dent a couple years ago on my 67 FHC, and they are so far holding up well with 2,000 miles on them.

I bet the one that failed was quite old?

I fitted my present set in 2014 and they've done 22,000 miles, the previous set 23,000 and that's been pretty regular so I'd better have a close look at them!

"..so far holding up well with 2000 miles on them" sounds pessimistic, what were you expecting?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri May 21, 2021 7:32 am

Spyder fan wrote:with reference to towing a +2, the problem is where do you attach the tow rope.

If you have a Spyder chassis, then there is a tow loop on the underside leading edge of the front crossmember/vacuum tank, this allows a rope to be attached that with care won't damage the underside of the nose/front valance.

2021-05-20 13.55.19.jpg

The original pattern chassis doesn't have this, but maybe you could attach the tow rope to a block of timber then tie this to the crossmember so that the tow rope stays as low as possible.

I don't know the Legal position in UK but in France it's not permited to Tow with a Rope only a Towing bar.
With Brexit maybe you can tow with a Rope :roll:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Mon May 24, 2021 8:54 pm

EU precautionary principle at work, no tow ropes :lol:
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:01 am

No problem if you don't have the loop welded to the front chassis member. I use one of
these wrapped around the front chassis member. Get the 36 inch length. They are all
over Ebay searching on 'tow strap', In fact, I carry one in the car all the time, ,,,,,just in case.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue May 25, 2021 9:48 am

I like the idea of a strap being flat it will reduce pressure on the nose and a few layers of soft rag should prevent any rubbing on the paint - which would be my main concern.
I have a 3m loop ended strap and shackle in all my cars - yet to use any of them for myself or others tho :)
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 25, 2021 10:56 am

Looks like it is still legal to tow with a rope in the UK.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-adv ... -tow-a-car
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: