Clutch pedal

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:13 pm

I've never been happy with the clutch on my early +2 since it's rebuild, very short pedal throw which I always attributed to the clutch itself.
I've just removed the pedal box as I need to modify it to clear the airbox on my FI install and have come across something which I completely missed or chose to ignore before. It looks to me like the pin location has been moved closer to the pivot and the original hole has been welded up.
I've only found one picture online to confirm this, so could anyone please confirm my suspicions please that the clevis pin should be through the bulbous part of the pedal, near the top.
Pic hopefully attached.

You can see in the pic I went to the trouble of boring out and putting in acetal lined bushes in the pivot and I also installed a replacement precision ground pivot rod as they were previously worn and rust seized, how I missed this I don't know.
Attachments
IMG_20210317_172055_copy_864x11521.jpg and
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:48 pm

pptom wrote:It looks to me like the pin location has been moved closer to the pivot and the original hole has been welded up.
I've only found one picture online to confirm this, so could anyone please confirm my suspicions please that the clevis pin should be through the bulbous part of the pedal, near the top.
Pic hopefully attached.

Just been in the garage to check my 1968 +2 and can confirm that the lower connection hole is correct.
It does not connect to your top hole which is welded up.

Will upload a photo shortly.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:04 pm

Removed the Plate from top of Pedal Box, so able to take a photo.

Pedal Box Clutch connection2.jpg and
Pedal Box Clutch Connection
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:22 pm

Thanks very much for taking the time and effort teejay.
That's very interesting, same year as mine too. Looks like yours may not have been welded up at the top?
I wonder if it was lotus using another manufacturers pedal and repositioning the clevis hole or maybe it was just cheaper to stamp out the brake and clutch pedals identical with the only difference being the welded on pivot bushes.
Either way it is a bit un-lotus having a part bigger and heavier than it needed to be, on the other hand, if it saved a few pennies....
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Checking the parts book, there are 4 deferent pedals listed. 2 are from chassis 929, so I assume this to be the switch to the narrow pedal box with the angled clutch pedal.
1 is from chassis 1 to 366
1 is from 367 to 928

I wonder if the hole position caused the change of part number?
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Interesting, I’ve just looked at the Parts Manual.

My Chassis is 173 so is the first group up to 366, so Part No 050 J 0083.
The diagram shows a Clutch Pedal with only 1 hole and my pedal has 2 holes and my other hole is not welded up.

As is typical with Lotus, use parts available at the time.

But my car has had previous owners so cannot rule out that it may have been changed. Although it’s very unlikely, as I have had the car from 1975 and was in very original condition, other than a replacement nose.

Perhaps other Forum members with earlier cars can see if they have 1 or 2 holes in their Clutch pedal. :?:
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:49 pm

For info, I'm chassis 433. Got hold of my car when it was 50 years old and had been sat it a garage for the previous 14 of those, so God knows what happened to it in all that time.
I might experiment with opening up the other hole and having both as an option.
Thanks again TeeJay
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: