Reverse switch

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:36 am

Have Elan S4 Coupe, reverse switch appears faulty, what is the best way to get at the switch to remove it with engine box installed? Anyone used the Paul Matty switch which has no wires attached and is a fraction of the cost from other suppliers?
Oh how I miss my four poster, lift that is not bed!
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:08 am

See https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23779&p=149017

Looks like the only way to get to it is from the top, probably a **tch :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 am

Looks like the only way to get to it is from the top, probably a **tch :roll:[/quote]

Yes, yes it is. I discovered that I had damaged one of the terminals on the switch after I installed the engine and gearbox. To replace the switch I first took off the engine mounts so the engine could drop a little bit. Then I could reach in and get at the switch. Being right handed I found that it was easier to come in from the exhaust side. It wasn’t easy to adjust it once in place. Too far in and you can’t engage reverse. Too far out and it won’t work.

It’s a common part to Land Rovers. Just make sure it’s a fine thread not coarse. I got one off eBay that was for a Lotus Elan and it was a coarse thread.

Good luck!
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks for the link Phil, I did find that thread but noticed that the switch they show is screwed in from the top, as was that of some of the other responders, whereas mine comes in horizontally towards the top from the offside (RHD). Not sure therefore which gearbox is fitted (car is 1970 S4), but was used in racing previously. Anyone any ideas what this box may have been fitted to ?

Pete, thanks for the reply and the Land Rover tip, not knowing which box is fitted I can't verify threads until switch removed, but thanks for the tip off. That's the problem with buying off the internet some people think parts are universal when they are often not.
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Can you post a picture of the gearbox from top & bottom...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:36 am

Not easy for me to get under car at present Phil but will try and get a picture from the top. I have a notion it might be a 2000E box as I found a picture but it was not easy to see the actual location of the switch, but it did not appear to have the top mounted switch from what I could make out.

Will take a picture and post tomorrow
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:16 am

PB227861.JPG and
Phil,
Finally got a picture of the reverse switch on my gearbox but because it is so awkward to get in the picture is poor, but you can just about make out the switch which is fitted horizontally from the right side rather than from the top, any clues to which box or casing it may be anyone
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:01 pm

The gearbox casing was also used by Ford without the revering light switch hole machined in. Maybe a P.O. swopped out the original case and decided to fit the switch from the side as an 'improvement'? For this to work the selector rod will have to have been modified too...I guess you'll have to remove the switch to find out exactly what has been used before you can buy a replacement.
Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Sorry Tony, I have no clue.... As has been suggested, you may be able to drop the gearbox mount and/or engine mounts to help get it out...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Just to confirm, is this the Ford / Cortina three rail 4 speed we're talking about? If so, the rail that
activates the switch is on the intake side. Your picture shows #4 exhaust manifold and the rest is
unclear. Take a pic from the same angle on the intake side and maybe from below.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:31 pm

PB227861.JPG and

I'm seeing the switch screwed into the side of the box as circled.
Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:27 pm

Thanks to all for your input, it is very difficult getting a picture and impossible from the carb side, even from the underside it is very awkward to see up to where the switch is located.
I was hoping someone may know if a casing was used either by Lotus or Ford where the reverse switch entered from the side, at least that may help pin things down. I have since seen a number of 2000E gearbox casings and they did not enter from the side as previously thought, so a bit of a mystery.

With a major back injury I am not so agile these days and so getting under the car is a problem, so perhaps I will have to wait until the car is back on the road and get to my local garage and put it up on a lift for a better look, but all thoughts much appreciated
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tonyabacus » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:40 pm

s-l500.jpg and
s-l500.jpg and
Mystery finally solved, the box is a 2000E as fitted to the Mk2 Lotus Cortina / RS1600 /Mexico which as you see from picture the reverse switch is fitted on the top just in front of the top cover plate. This one has a plug in it but have seen now pictures with switch fitted which appears same as the side fitting switch although there is a question about coarse or fine thread to the switch.

Thanks to all for your inputs
Tony
tonyabacus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: