replacing trans w/o removing engine

PostPost by: rcombs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 pm

I am replacing the clutch in my S3 and am trying to due the job without removing the engine using the info I found here on several post. I got the tranny out and am in the process of putting it back together. The part I haven't figured out is how to put the throwout bearing/arm assembly back in without it falling apart. I tried Mark and he can't remember how he did it since it was 30 years ago.

Just was trying to see if anyone has done this successfully and could give me some guidance.

Thanks,
Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:01 pm

I suppose if you have a lift and a transmission jack it's probably fairly easy. I've always pulled them out together. On the other hand, the shop refurbishing my Elan pulled the engine out by its self. then pulled out the transmission later to replace the clutch and seals.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:17 pm

I've never heard of anyone removing transmission without removing the engine, simply because the Gearbox has to come out forwards (because of the central box of the chassis) & the fact that the engine is in the way. Seriously, can it be done? :shock:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:16 pm

rcombs wrote: I got the tranny out and....

I don't think I can answer the question but a few of us would like to know more about how you did
this.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:48 pm

Even if you can, I would ask: why? Anytime I feel the need to pull either the engine or gearbox, I remove both (sometimes have even lifted the body!) as there is always something else I find that needs some attention. Having both out, cleaning everything up, sorting the issues and putting it all back together is real work, but then it's good for several years again. I guess I've just learned to take my time and do it once, plus I really don't like doing fiddly frustrating things in tight grubby places anymore....
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:50 pm

gjz30075 wrote:
rcombs wrote: I got the tranny out and....

I don't think I can answer the question but a few of us would like to know more about how you did
this.

I have posted the procedure a few times...... here is one: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=16024
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Sure, you can drop the bellhousing out first then the gearbox, I tried it once, it’s a tight skin your knuckles kind of job, I reckon like bitsobrits says it’s easier to pull the engine out then you’ve got so much more room to play with.
Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 pm

I never found doing it this way that difficult, with patience. I have done it twice , without a lift, just me and a floor jack.

For a transmission or clutch issue only I would do it again. No motor lift apparatus, no carb removal, no cooling removal/ refill, no exhaust manifold removal, and so on.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:44 am

Thanks for the input everyone.

Yes doing it this way is a pain, but so is pulling an engine. I have been working on this thing for more that 6 years. I was getting ready to pull it out of the garage for the first time only to discover that the clutch wouldn't disengage. I remembered hooking the tranny to the engine under the car, so that is how I started to disassemble it. I ran into trouble, but read posts by Mike and others about doing it without pulling the engine.

The thoughts of having to pull the engine at this point is about more than I can bear. However, I can't figure out how to put that silly throwout bearing assembly into the bellhousing without it falling apart before I can get it on the tranny input shaft.

Unless I get an inspiration, me or someone else is going to be pulling an engine.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: webbslinger » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:48 am

I jumped at the title even though I knew it wasn't possible. I have felt your frustration, but wnen you get down to it, pulling the engine isn't as bad as thinking about it. And when you do, think about how few get to wrench on an Elan. How's that, better?
webbslinger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:54 am

rcombs wrote: I was getting ready to pull it out of the garage for the first time only to discover that the clutch wouldn't disengage.

Are you sure the clutch plate just isn't stuck to the fly wheel?

Very common for them to stick when cars have been sat for a while, mine was when I got it. It's normally possible to free them off with a few heat cycles and few shock loads through the clutch with pedal down.

For mine I had the car fully in the air with warm engine. Started the engine with it in top gear. With clutch down I pressed both the brakes and throttle which broke it loose pretty quickly.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:03 am

having a close relationship to my punk in 40 years: my quickest PULL of engine was 2,5hrs (no coffee breaks) !!! incl. all the fluids, header etc.., so above questions answered: it´s worth the 150 minutes! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:03 pm

mbell,

No, the engine rebuilder supplied a clutch assembly with the engine. I didn't know at the time that it was something special for the hot rodded engine. As it turned out there was about 3/4" of free travel with the standard throw out assembly. I just didn't know at the time to check.

I have installed a new Borg & Beck assembly from Dave Bean on the flywheel. Now it should be a matter of putting the tranny back in. It looks like pulling the engine will be part of that process.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: