Odd Noise

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Wed May 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Now I knoiw its pretty much impossible to diagnose noises over t'internet but I was wondering if the collective knowledge of the site can offer any suggestions. When I drive the Plus 2 I get a light, relatively high pitched rustling noise from the rear end but only when under power - it disappears on a neutral throttle and the overrun.
It sounds like a stone trapped in a disk dust shield - but there aren't any on the rear. As devotees will know I've had both calipers off to refurb them and the handbrake mechanism, and when turning the hubs didn't here the noise. The drive shafts are Hookes type universal joint type and have been very recently regreased, and I can't see anything wrong. It was there before I set about the calipers and greasing the shafts.
As I said its a very 'light' sound, not a bearing knock or grumble/rumble. Its hard to work out where its coming from but in the RHD car it seems to be from the left (near) side so I guess it could be the diff. Any ideas?
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed May 20, 2020 3:18 pm

Pinion bearing dirt shield touching diff nose?
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Wed May 20, 2020 10:36 pm

I blame the handbrake tree for most of the strange noises in the rear end! It's a bit of a weird design with too many things that have a small amount of movement. I'd start looking there.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Wed May 20, 2020 11:15 pm

Hi Matt,

Check if your diff is moving around under power due to soggy rubber bushes on the two bottom tie rods, or if the frustacones are going soft.

Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:28 pm

Hopefully you will have sorted this by now, but if not——
I am refitting rear bearings in my S4. Simple enough, but problem with dust shields. The shield will be pushed snuggly against the bearing by the circlip.
Problem with this, is that the shield touches both the inner and outer race, therefore surely this will cause the sort of noise you are talking about.?
Have I missed something here, because it seems a very basic problem?

Peter

?
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:35 am

Hi,
Have you refitted the driveshafts in the right orientation? - on the assumption that you removed them of course
Is the disc catching the lower arm
Is the calliper properly centred about the disc and the hand brake for that mater

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: