Elan Plus 2 Rear Wheel Bearing!

PostPost by: plus2-0174 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:00 pm

My left (drivers side USA) IS ‘defective’..... Does anyone have the proper hub puller, either for sale or for rent.

AND - Do any of you have any experience in replacing the wheel bearings without removing the entire strut?

Thanks in advance.

MGBPLUS2
MIDDLE TENNESSEE USA!
plus2-0174
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:32 am

Yes, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40997

Good luck!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lyn7 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:47 am

Hi. I've completed this job several times without much of an issue. I do have access to the proper threaded puller, which I would recommend. I also have never needed heat which others seem to. Most people appear to use an adaptor behind the spinner to pull the hub off if no access to the proper puller. I have done the job on the car and off. Pros and cons to both. I would suggest most of the problems may be down to previous bad repairs or not properly understanding how it is dismantled. It is also not a 5 minute job. I certainly had far more trouble with a Seat Alhambra front wheel bearing!! I'm sure there will be other ideas coming your way.
Good luck.
Lyn7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:58 am

Always done it on the car.
Unscrewed the Nut in the Hub 1 to 2 turns, put packing/block of metal under the Spinner.
Tightened Spinner very tight, heated Hub and shock back of Hub with Hammer.
Always worked for me. Sometimes leave it for a while with spinner nice and tight.
The last Hubs i removed were on a +2 and they had not been removed for 25 years+++.
No problem.
I put a Jack under Chapman Strut so when i shock it with the Hammer it is solid with maxi vibration. :shock:
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Welcome to the forum.

This is the classic tool used to pop the hub

Elan Knock-On Hub Removal Tool

Remove Elan rear KO hubs with this specially designed tool and eliminate chances of bending or breaking your rear hubs. A standard hub puller will damage your hub. This tool threads directly onto the hub while the center bolt presses on the end of the axle shaft. One tool works for both RH and LH hubs.
Made in USA

Ref. 36T0286HD KO Hub Extractor - $125.00

They are stocked by Ray at RD Enterprises in PA.
http://rdent.com/

Can’t link directly to the product listing, but it is found under Tool Chest on the left side of the main page. Tool works great.

They are easy to mail. Maybe someone local can help you out, or a nearby Lotus club has one. Suppose it would be relatively easy to make one up if you have a lathe, the ability to cut left hand threads, and required skills. Mine is presently with another Forum member.

I got a local shop with the required press to install the bearings in the removed strut housing. I really struggled with the recommended shade tree procedure, which as I understood it, involves heating the housing, cooling the bearings, and installing the bearing with the housing still on the car. YMMV or maybe someone else can advise.

HTH

Stu
Attachments
D9BB716A-36DA-47EF-A322-B4FE317DFA2F.jpeg
Hub puller from RD Enterprises
D9BB716A-36DA-47EF-A322-B4FE317DFA2F.jpeg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: