Installing CV driveshafts-finally

PostPost by: skelteanema » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:51 am

Hi all,
I bought a set of the ElanTrikbits CV drive-shafts from Col Croucher about five years ago and they have been sitting on my shelf until now. I didn’t find the time to fit them to my Elan S3 DHC before. I regularly inspected my rotoflex couplings and they still appeared to be in good shape. With New Zealand in a total lock-down for at least 4 weeks due to Covid-19, I decided this was a good time to fit them, and did the job over the Easter weekend. I did it over two days, one side each afternoon. I used the Lotus workshop manual for instructions on the removal of the old rotoflex couplings and drive-shafts and Col Croucher’s written instructions along with a video I found online for the installation of the new CV drive-shafts, linked below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWq3FTdlC3E

In the video, they have a lift to raise the car, and the particular Elan they are working on is spotless underneath, so they have plenty of room to work in and no trouble from dirt and dust. The underneath of my car is not clean, and I only raised the car with the factory jack onto a stand, with a second floor jack to raise the hub to get the old drive-shafts to a horizontal position for removal. It was pretty straight-forward with minimal cursing. Getting the old shafts and donuts off was a little fiddly mainly because the old nuts were particularly tight, and the space under the car when jacked up is pretty limited.

Cv vs rotoflex.jpg and
The old versus the new!

Installation of the new CV drive-shafts was quite easy. In Col’s written instructions it suggests removing the A-arm bolts so that the strut assembly cab be swung out to give room for fitting; however, I took the inboard adapter plate off the CV shaft as per the video. I put a latex glove over the exposed CV joint innards to stop dirt getting in while I fitted the outer coupling. After fitting the outer coupling and the inner adapter plate, I quickly removed the glove and it was straight forward to reattached the CV joint to the adapter plate. After everything was torqued up,and the wheels put back on, I checked things rotated freely and then lowered the car to the ground.

CV in place.jpg and
New CV in place...looks the part

I inspected the old rotoflex couplings and although they looked to be in good condition, looks can be deceiving as one was clearly coming apart at one of the metal plates. So it looks like I have done this exchange job in the nick of time!

Rotoflex-looks OK.jpg and
Old rotoflex looks OK at first glance...

Fractured rotoflex.jpg and
Looks can be deceiving!

I took the car for a quick spin down the road and all performed as expected. Too early to tell much about the difference between the rotoflex and CV shafts, but first impressions is that it is more direct than the old couplings. Will report more when I can take the car for a decent drive.
Skittle. 1967 Elan S3 DHC
skelteanema
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bits » Mon May 18, 2020 5:20 pm

Do you not require to install the limited dampers with the cv's you installed?

I have just taken delivery of a pair of cv's from Sue Miller (she got them from Kelvedon) and I also bought the dampers recommended to go with them.
Bits
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Mon May 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Those rotoflex with the solid sleeve inserts could be 20-30 years old so I’d say they have done their job, no small wonder they split!
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tdskip » Tue May 19, 2020 2:06 am

Thank you for posting this.
SoCal
1969 Elan DHC
tdskip
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 am

Bits wrote:Do you not require to install the limited dampers with the cv's you installed?

I have just taken delivery of a pair of cv's from Sue Miller (she got them from Kelvedon) and I also bought the dampers recommended to go with them.

The ElanTrikBits ones from Col Croucher don't require the droop to be limited as they can accommodate the required standard full droop articulation that you get in the Elan.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 pm

Hi Rohan,

Would you know what is the difference between the ElanTrikBits shafts and the Miller (now Kelvedon) kit, they both use the GKN Lobro cv’s, it’s not clear why the UK ones would be liable to lock up unless droop limited?

Thank you
Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Cols' magic touch.. touche!!!
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:23 am

sprintsoft wrote:they both use the GKN Lobro cv’s, it’s not clear why the UK ones would be liable to lock up unless droop limited?

I believe that Col fettles the CV joints extensively to get more angular deflection out of them. He also lightens them.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 am

CBUEB1771 wrote:
sprintsoft wrote:they both use the GKN Lobro cv’s, it’s not clear why the UK ones would be liable to lock up unless droop limited?

I believe that Col fettles the CV joints extensively to get more angular deflection out of them. He also lightens them.

The two main changes I believe are to lighten them removing un-needed metal and add lightness and to modify the boot as this is the first limit on articulation. You also need to start with the right CV as I believe the Lobro Joints come in different allowed articulation based on how the tracks have been machined. Best you talk to Col direct if need more details. He is currently locked out of the site and waiting for Jeff to unlock his account and reset the password if possible so cant respond to PM's

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 20, 2020 5:31 am

sprintsoft wrote:Hi Rohan,

Would you know what is the difference between the ElanTrikBits shafts and the Miller (now Kelvedon) kit, they both use the GKN Lobro cv’s, it’s not clear why the UK ones would be liable to lock up unless droop limited?

Thank you
Iain

The price
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: