Removing and rebuilding a Twincam

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:17 am

Having had an engine internal problem causing loss of power at my last race I decide to pull the engine to investigate. It would still run without any abnormal noises or smoke but the engine is partially seized and very hard to turn over by hand and that internal drag is clearly the cause of the loss of power. I have started this thread to record both the removal process, the rebuild and re-installation. Will post more when I get a chance. The engine came out today and tomorrow I hope to open it up to find out more.

The one good thing about the corona virus is no time pressure on the rebuild as no racing probably until next November at the earliest. Hopefully I have all the bits I need as getting items from around the world may become hard in the next few months. I have a used race engine I pulled a few years ago that has been waiting for a rebuild to a lower compression ratio to comply with the newer race regulation in my class requiring unleaded pump fuel rather than Avgas. The refreshed bottom end of this engine plus the lower compression head of my current engine will hopefully match up, assuming and hoping the problem is in the bottom end of my current engine

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks Rohan,
we are all Ears and waiting
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:32 pm

rgh0 wrote:
The one good thing about the corona virus is no time pressure on the rebuild as no racing probably until next November at the earliest.

Rohan

You're right there Rohan !

I'm only now realizing the pressure I was under for the last 13 years having to have a car ready to race every few weeks for six months of the year !

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am

Just realised I posted this in the wrong section so starting a new thread in the engine section :oops:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm

And the link to rohan's relocated topic is:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=46421

No need to add anything else here :D
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Bill,

Thanks, I did not know there is an engine section.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: