Lotus 5 speed - Gearstick lower ball STL file

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi,

Attached is a STL file that shows the approx size/measurement for the plastic ball in the Lotus 5 speed gear stick*. Which is prone to turning into soft cheese like material and needing replacement but can't be bought.

This is based off measurement from a replacement ball Greg (gjz30075) was kind enough to supply me that he no longer needed. Before fitting I took rough measurement and drew it up. It probably not an exact match by likely close enough to work well.

While it should be possible to 3D print I am not sure the finish is suitable for actually use.

Cheers,

Mark

* Form Ford Type E box and believe the Type-9 box stick has the same ball.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:55 pm

STL file attached to this post...please change the file extension back.
Attachments
5 Speed Gear stick ball (2)_stl_.doc
Rename from .doc to .stl
(92.27 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 pm

I had one made by a machinist from an existing ball. The attached shows the dimensions.

GLeverBall.pdf
(137.46 KiB) Downloaded 324 times

Either I have it in teh spares box OR JonB has it. It cost a rather frightening £30 as I one off!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c.garde » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Hello gents and nerds,
A couple of years ago I bought a shifter assembly. at Nec.
I found later out the fork part of it is of a different dimension to the requirements of the lotus -5 box.
However the ball was a perfect replacement and made from iron ( cast or sintered ?)
No more cheese in my box.
Unfortunately the disintegrated cerial did manage to procure a noisy box.

As it is very easy to take the assembly apart and preserve everything for reassembly this could be a cheap way to get a new ball.
C.Garde.
c.garde
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: