Lotus Elan

My Voigt 5-speed conversion

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Good to see you are really driving a lot. The 5th gear lends itself to making longer trips.

Haven’t yet put many miles on mine. And the weather is going to turn soon. But looking forward to future travels.

I put the Quaife short shifter in without trying it without. I find the shifting excellent and actually seems better than my original (recently rebuilt) 4 speed. Part of that could also be the close ratio gear set.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Some finishing touches:

1. Affixed a 5-speed shift pattern stencil to the dash. In case someone else drives the car (highly unusual). Also, a subtle indicator that a 5 speed lies within.
2. Secured a black lotus logo shift knob to the Quaife short shifter, matching the black nose badge.

IMG_6249.jpeg and

The leaky heater valve, mentioned in my last post, turned out to be an incorrectly assembled one. The valve was relatively new. The rivet that keeps the two halves from rotating and separating was installed incorrectly in a wrong position. Had not showed up before as the halves had not rotated even there was nothing restraining them from doing so - but when reconnecting the heater cable in this last engine out go round, they must have rotated and thus leaked. Drilled the bad rivet out and re-riveted in the correct position. Leak solved.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: My72Sprint » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:45 am

@ 1owner69Elan
My later S4 Sprint has a Hazard Switch where you placed the shift pattern stencil.
Guess I'll just run the standard Lotus shift knob, perfect condition, no pattern.
Tim
Tim Bartlett, Sprint 183K
My72Sprint
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: