Gawd I love this site [gearbox related]

PostPost by: gus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:33 pm

I got the drivetrain reinstalled in my +2 and low and behold, no reverse.

pulled the shifter back out and pushed the reverse arm manually, kinda crunched and now no gears no how.

spent the night growling and pondering how much I could not disassemble and get the tranny cover off, then searched here and found this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15211&start=

and realized, I is a boob, and did exactly what he did and while getting the bolts of in situ was not too much fun, it was fine and drove the car around a bit

whew

Thanks boys, i woulda been cryin in my beer
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:37 am

Sometimes the peg on the bottom of the g ear stick lifts out of the slot in the selector rail and then lets you select more than one gear. The cause is too thicker shim under gear knob.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:51 pm

In my very first outing with my S2, while shifting into reverse, the gear lever managed to select two gears, catching 2nd gear in the process. As stated, if the shift lever is allowed to be pulled up a little too far, this can happen. I wound up making a small sleeve to fit on the gear lever, just under the sliding washer that interfaces with the lever retaining cup. It took several tries, but if memory serves me, it was about .037". This prevented the gear lever from being pulled up to far, and snagging 2nd gear while selecting reverse. The paper gasket between the retaining cup and the gear box casting was just thick enough to function as a seal to prevent gear oil from leaking.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: