Elan clutch

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:14 pm

I am planning on building a 150 HP Elan motor and would like to know if the standard clutch unit can handle the power. I have a new 8 1/2" Borg and Beck unit I would like to use. I don't plan on spinning the tires and would be using a 3.77 diff. Input would be appreciated. :)
Chris
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 pm

the issue with clutch is the torque it should take before slipping.

If the question is regular setup vs. multiplate setup, the standard setup can be kept, if need be with a heavy duty disk (e.g. Helix offers one for up to 179 ft/lbs torque, which should be plenty for a twink - but it entails a harder depal). If the question is to have a pedal as soft as possible while having a clutch that does not slip, the alternative may become standard disk (may last less) or multiplate setup (expensive) : 150hp not being huge I would give a try to the standard clutch (I have a heavy duty helix in my road car, it's fine on the road but a bit hard in stop-and-go traffic jams...).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks nmauduit. I want to use the single plate standard Borg and Beck clutch cover. Can I use an improved (Helix or other) disc ( at the expense of flywheel and clutch cover wear)? Would this uprated disc be compatible with the standard clutch cover? :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm pretty sure you can. Double check with your supplier (I got mine from QED, no affiliations), I realize you may rather try to source your parts in the US...
I don't think flywheel wear would be a significant drawback with the heavy duty Helix, required pedal force might (make sure all the elements, linkage etc are in good condition, lubed, and most importantly operate as intended - angles, play etc)...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: