Plus 2 clutch pipe length

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am

Hi

I just received a Goodrich braided clutch pipe and it looks a bit short. It has two elbows (so no banjo connector on one end) and measures 105cm from elbow to elbow. Is this long enough?

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:17 pm

From memory I fitted one of that length and description but can't recall where I sourced it from. Obviously it replaces the original flexi and solid pipe set up.

I imagine if it was sold for this specific purposes then the length will be correct

Mine fitted perfectly and it's an improvement on the original convoluted arrangement - I carried it around the bottom of the bellhousing and used 2 or 3 rubber lined P clips to keep it in place.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks Jon - I was surprised to see it didn't have a banjo connector at one end but it fitted OK after two hours of cursing and groaning. As I am pulling the engine soon I just zip tied it to the bracket that the soft line went through and left the top section of hard line in situ.

I need a lift!

I bought it to resolve a sticky clutch and it's working well. Clutch action is much better and I am really pleased with it.

Came from Susan Miller..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm

Yeah, it was Sue I got mine from - I remember now.

I can recommend a 2 post lift, best thing I ever did (and yes, you can happily raise a plus 2 on one and leave it for an extended period of time with no ill effects). Great for storing 2 cars as well and makes installing the engine a cinch - I can do removal and re fitting single hand.

Worth considering some heat protection too - I made up a shield which might be tricky with the body on but I made it removable for servicing of the clutch slave.
Attachments
1.jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:32 pm

2 post lift, in my dreams! I don't think I have the roof height for it. :(

Hey that looks like a Spyder chassis. Isn't it easy to get at stuff when the body's out of the way!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

JonB wrote:2 post lift, in my dreams! I don't think I have the roof height for it. :(

!

A MaxJax low height 2 post lift will fit in most garages and get the car up high enough that you can sit on a small rolling seat under it to work

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am

Actually looking at this one:

https://www.automotechservices.co.uk/pr ... post-lift/

I think the MaxJax is too expensive in the UK - it's much more expensive than the above (but has better lifting capacity that I don't need). I need to check how thick the concrete is on my garage floor, it needs to be 120mm. Also consider how a 2 post lift would fit in the limited space available. It's my dream lift...

If I do buy one, it'll be "body off time", immediately. Having a lift would really make this job easier.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 am

Yes that's a similar concept to a MaxJax and if cheaper in the UK should work well. It should work in a low height normal garage OK. My last 2 body off exercises I have done with the MaxJax the first 2 i did with with a variety of jacks and blocks and stands and hoists and all 4 i did on my own. i would choose the MaxJax style lift to get the body off every time :lol: About 10 time faster and easier and safer

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm

I've got the full height version of that one JonB which permits stacking of cars

It's a great bit of kit - Chinese of course but it seems very good and has provided excellent service over the last 2-3 years.

I looked at the MaxJax and also thought it was expensive for what it is. It looks like Automech have seen a gap in the market and brought in a low rise version too.

I designed my garage extension with an open roof and proper floor to accept the lift

(Mini oil leak now fixed)
Attachments
p1100173-copy.jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Argh you let it leak on your Alfa Spyder!

:shock:

My roof is too shallow a pitch for a similar setup, unfortunately. It's a Marley style concrete sectional double width garage. Would be nice to put an extra row of slabs on the walls, raise the roof by a foot or so, but I doubt they are available nowadays.

Actually come to think of it I could just add joists and cladding...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: