Gearbox leak - Planning for a gearbox and engine pull

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:58 am

These pictures give a sense of why the current repro yokes could be a problem without a shortened propshaft. In this case I suspect the yoke shoulder might not have fouled against the tailshaft housing, but the end of the shaft itself would have been too close for my comfort to the welch plug in the yoke, if not touching it.

img_20190908_203843.jpg and

img_20190908_203928.jpg and

And boy do I detest bolting the propshaft flange to the diff flange!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:16 am

Closing this thread out, have been slowly getting things put back together the last couple of weeks and got the Elan out for a short drive this morning before the rain. Very pleased that the gearbox leak that started this all seems to have been resolved, and the new sump gaskets look to be keeping the oil in, too.

It popped out of reverse on the first run, but adjusted the reverse switch slightly and that seemed to fix it. Otherwise, shifting on my test drive was improved, sharper with less play, certainly due to the replaced selector forks, and I had a great initial drive.

Will recheck fluids tomorrow, but hopefully this means I'll be able to use it regularly the next couple of months while the weather is good and before winter.

Thanks for all of the guidance and support along the way, really appreciate the folks on this forum!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: