Has anyone eliminated anti-sizzle gear lever?

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:27 pm

John, the port in the side of the interior only access' the end of the tailshaft, for prop shaft installation.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Chris,

My understanding of the anti sizzle gear stick is that item 65x2, one top one bottom, as shown by John Beach, was to limit the movement of the bush, but give just enough compliance to stop sizzle when the leaver is not in use. I think this is what your mod achieves.

My car had been worked on before, and many of the gearstick components were missing. I didn't realise parts were missing until someone posted this section of the parts book! I spoke to a friend whose experience and judgement I value, who explained what the various washers are for. In particular the outside diameter of item 65 needing to be a few thousandths less than the inside diameter of the gearstick where the anti sizzle bush fits.

Hope this makes sense,

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chris » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Richard, The five speed lever is completely different from the four speed in that it is not bolted together, and items 65 x2 are not present it is a purely pressed together unit and as such has no adjustment. You are correct in assuming the nuts and washers can be used to control the amount of rubber bush flexing on the four speed lever.
Chris
Chris
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jbeach » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 pm

On Sunday I found the time to install and test drive the new "direct' shift lever I purchased from Ken at Dave Bean. I took Derek's advice and, after a thorough cleaning, coated the assembly's relevant parts with a good, thick, heavy-duty grease.

The result? In a word: Perfection. I have no vibration and no "sizzle" - up to redline in 1st through 3rd and 4,500 rpm on the nearby Interstate.

What I do have is an amazing tactile experience where I can almost feel through my finger tips every part in the transmission fitting smoothly into place every time a shift. To be clear, the experience is not harsh by any means - only completely linear and, well, direct. And, of course, with no more chance of gear lever twist!

I assume this varies from car to car, and I feel very lucky it has worked out with mine. But if your car is generally smooth with your current "anti-sizzle" gear lever, I highly recommend this modification if you need to address gear lever twist or some other issue that might call for a gear lever repair or replacement.

Thanks to each of you for your valuable input and advice.

Cheers,

-John
John Beach
'69 Elan S4 DHC - A Work in Progress
jbeach
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:07 am

Thanks, John, glad to hear it worked out. I think I've gotten my gear shift tendency to rotate solved with proper washers, but will keep this in mind if it returns.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: