could you help me to recognize this driveshaft conversion ?

PostPost by: huggy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 pm

I'm new to ownership so I have few newbie questions: :D

When I bought my Elan (S2 S/E DHC on Spyder chassis) previous owner gave me this conversion and told me it is a Spyder one and he didn't put it on car because he used it in the mountain and rotoflex where better for this use...... :?:

Currently working in differential area so I think to make the conversion at the same time as parts are here but I'm confused:
- I found infos about hybrid Spyder driveshaft...but nothing for these "sliding" driveshaft
- As those parts where not fitted when I bought car I'm a bit suspicious:
- Do these parts fit my car? ( 66 S2 S/E DHC on spyder chassis)
- Are these parts Spyder one ? If not from were do they come from ?
- Are this conversion better than rotoflex for 115bhp road use only? with no downside?
- Any information about the mountain use of rotoflex welcome !

Thanks for your help !!
Last edited by huggy on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF IN DOUBT, FLAT OUT !
Colin Mc Rae
huggy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:09 pm

They are "Performance unlimited" driveshafts, do a search on here...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 am

Had the above on my Plus2 for years , excellent upgrade but think there may be a problem fitting them to a b*by Elan as the driveshafts are shorter and so the angle of dangle more acute and the u/js may catch/lock up.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: huggy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks for answers :D

Yes I made a search on forum and they seems commum modification en +2 ......but very few if not on baby ones :?

So the question is:

I need to change a diff bolt (Diff to boot floor): How van they broke there ?!

I have 2 solution:
- Put the bolt upside down (bolt head in boot): looks easy
- Put the bolt as it was (bolt head under differential).....but I will need to remove rotoflex as this bolt is very long

If I remove rotoflex is it better to make the conversion (parts are here and free!) or stick with rotoflex.
To my eyes they are not new but could a bit more.
Reliability peace of mind is my major interest (why I bought an Elan so !! :mrgreen: )

My interested about advices about "stay or swap" and feedbck from baby owner on super performance driveshaft.
Thanks !!
IF IN DOUBT, FLAT OUT !
Colin Mc Rae
huggy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Bonsoir,

your course of action may depend on your intended use and general take on originality - which like colors is a matter generally not subject to discussion but governed by personal preferences.

As for my street car, during the restoration I figured I eventually could not resist a track day now and then with the buddies so opted to solid driveshafts over rotoflexes not to have to worry about a catastrophic failure (at least from there). For a 2 seater the issue of binding is real and must be attended to, but it can be sorted easily enough with a strap preventing over drooping. If in want of a cleaner solution, specific dampers or the insertion of a nylon bushing inside the shocks may be an alternative fix.
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: