Heavy clutch

PostPost by: jimj » Sat May 19, 2018 8:02 am

Drive someone else`s car before you do anything, to see if your`s is unusually heavy. When I first had the Voight 5 speed fitted, I got in the car, pressed the clutch, and asked if it was actually connected. It was so light in comparison, not that that helps. It does show, though, that the clutch needn`t be so heavy but most cars of that period tend to have heavy clutch pedals. Maybe better design wasn`t a priority then.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat May 19, 2018 9:45 am

Not much help but never noticed a heavy clutch on my 5 speed. When I had it apart the clutch was basically brand new with no wear.

Is there a particular point if travel the peddle is hard? At the top, during disengagement?
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Jon,
There is an all new clutch in Toad. Would you like me to measure the pedal pressure needed?

(I was thinking a strong stick, holding the pedal down, pushing back against some bathroom scales?)
Crude, but it would give you an idea.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Yes please, Vince! :)

@MarkDa: I'll combine it all in one engine out job, I think. The oil leaks are getting worse!

@jimj: I have tried another car and it seemed pretty heavy, too. However, I'm thinking that there are good 'uns and bad 'uns out there, and I want to make mine a good 'un.

I've had a good morning with the car, though - fitted new air horns and repaired the washer bottle bracket. Really awkward down there as I left the radiator in place. But the payback comes when someone cuts me up on a roundabout - instead of the anaemic wheeze I used to get, I'm now getting 110DB so it is REALLY LOUD. Should put the wind up Mrs Oblivious in her huge 4WD!

Also went out for a nice drive with the Mrs, to a pub for a light lunch and back. Lovely and sunny with cool air. However, I got back and found a huge splat of bird poo on the bonnet which has actually damaged the top coat, so I had to go at it with the T-cut to restore it. Needs a wash too... again... :roll:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 am

Jon

Just a bit of light humour.

But as it happens i just checked mine. Its not exactly heavy. A bit of resistance but nothing major.
Certainly not caused issues previously.
I hope i dont bugger it up when zetec goes in.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon May 21, 2018 2:57 pm

JonB wrote:Yes please, Vince! :)

The nearest I can get is 3.5 > 3.8 Kilos. The scales where nearly at 3 kilos but I could only
get a single contact point which under reads. Which does not sound that bad!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon May 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks Vince.

I used a hand held luggage scale (the sort of thing you check your suitcase weight with) hooked over a piece of 2x4 wood. Put the far end of the wood on the clutch pedal and pressed down on the scale.

19 Kilos before the pedal moved - blimey Guv'nor!

Definitely something going on...
Last edited by JonB on Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm

pauljones wrote:Jon

Just a bit of light humour.

Bring it on! We need a laugh round here.
:D

pauljones wrote:But as it happens i just checked mine. Its not exactly heavy. A bit of resistance but nothing major.
Certainly not caused issues previously.
I hope i dont bugger it up when zetec goes in.

You'll be OK, I'm sure. PM me about your Zetec conversion, I'd be interested in how it is going.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon May 21, 2018 7:15 pm

JonB wrote:19 Kilos before the pedal moved - blimey Guv'nor!

they're part of the charm of the thing. Errm. Sort of! :)
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon May 21, 2018 7:22 pm

Yeah, alright, you got me there... :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:42 am

I think there are a number of different pressure plates that fit the no platen style plate used by the 5 speed. Some of these seem to be heavier than others . Of course there is also all the issues around the rest of the linkage and how well it has been set up, plus whether the cylinders are the correct size etc etc.

However in general the 5 speed is heavier than the 4 speed clutch all other things being equal.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: