Difficulty selecting gears

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi today I got try the newly built engine and re conditioned gearbox ,

Engine seemed pretty good but selecting gears was quite difficult

I noticed that it?s seems more difficult to select a gear with the plastic cap tightened right down , I ended up backing it off half a turn.

I also notice the diagram in the manual shows a washer , between the cap and gearbox casing I don?t have this , would this be the cause ?

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Possibly. When I first finished my S2, and on my first 1500 mile tour, only 2 days after finishing, I experienced somewhat of the opposite problem. When selecting reverse, the shift lever was able to be pulled up too far, and I wound up selecting 2 gears at the same time. This rendered the car immovable, with the drive train completely locked up in a not so safe location. Was able to remove the shift lever and de-select both gears to the get car to move. From that point, I was very careful when selecting reverse, not to pull up too far on the shift lever. After returning home, I made some spacers to prevent the shift lever from being raised beyond the needed distance. It took several tries to get the needed thickness, but when finding it, all was well and it has never happened again. By loosening your retaining cap, you may be experiencing the same sort of issue. And yes, there is a gasket between the cap and the transmission. It is quite thin, and some experimenting with the gasket may be in order.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GLB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm

In reply to prezoom about selecting reverse and another gear at the same time. I had the same problem every once in a while if I was not very precise in my movements coming out of reverse. The input bearing cage come apart and the bearing started making noise prompting an overhaul. On disassembly the three interlock pins that prevent selecting more than one gear at a time were missing. Someone had been there before and left them out. Replaced them and no more selection problems. Can't comment on the stiff shifting that started this discussion. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks I have been wondering if there are different screw in caps for different gear sticks , I have 2 completely different caps one plastic and one aluminium , i suppose the cap affects the pressure of the selector on the 3 rods.

Also my gear stick was from my previous box , the only noticeable difference being my previous box did not have a reverse switch option so I?m not entirely sure my parts all belong together

Do any members have close up pictures of the early sizzle type stick and fittings

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Downward movement or position of the gear lever is set by the cross pin in the slot of the turret.
Make sure you have the correct thickness gasket under the turret.
p1020905.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm

I,m pretty sure my issue is to do with the selector , I have noticed the spacing of the rails in the new box looks closer than in the old box , pictures below:
new box:
new-box.jpg and

old box:
old-box.jpg and

I also notice my metal cap measures around 35mm , A new cap from PM measures around 40mm and my plastic cap measures around 45mm. I have added a washer below the cap and it seems to help.

Can anybody advise what sets the selector gaps , is it just wear ? any advice appreciated

steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: