My lucky day...

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Counting my lucky stars.

Couple of months ago I changed all brake pads. Ever since I've had a soggy brake pedal so I thought I'd investigate as I had trouble retracting one of the rear caliper pistons at the time. So jacked it all up and started taking the caliper off. Got underneath and discovered this....

Anyone in the UK got a set of Plus 2 CV driveshafts going begging at a knock-down price :)
Just asking.....
Attachments
20170923_130938.jpg and
20170923_111621.jpg and
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Following on from the above, does anyone have any views as to the pros and cons of the Tony Thomson / Paul Matty hardy-spicer type driveshafts versus the Kelvedon CV types?
Bear in mind that this is a road-car and I've only covered 5000 miles or so in the past 3 years.
I'd be grateful for anyone's words of wisdom...
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:58 pm

I have Hardy Spicer type drive shafts in mine-they have been there since the sixties-I find them to be fine for road driving. I think they probably encourage you to drive more smoothly to eliminate any shock in the drive line-and that has to be a good thing...
I did have a problem when racing with these type of shafts but that won't come up in road driving.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:44 pm

U/Js don't work too well in the Elans but in the Plus2s they're fine , if you have them with grease nipples installed check the yokes for indentations to accept them...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Melodyk » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:00 pm

We fitted Tony Thompson UJ drive shafts to our Plus 2 and they've been really good over the past few years. They are not as soft feeling as the doughnuts but they do not feel harsh or snatchy. It's nice to have well engineered connections back there and not have to worry about failure. They are beautifully made. When the parcel arrived I was so impressed I laid them out on the floor to photograph them as I was sad they were going to be hidden under the car!
50/0060
Melodyk
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Fitted Spyder double CVs to the Plus 2 many years ago.

Bombproof ! :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:39 pm

I have splined/UJ drive shafts on my car and found them to be absolutely fine but you will need to restrict the downward movement of the wishbone either by using different shocks or attaching steel cables. I believe that apart from keeping the costs down the other reason for the doughnuts was to allow the drive shaft to move laterally.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:05 pm

William2 wrote:I have splined/UJ drive shafts on my car and found them to be absolutely fine but you will need to restrict the downward movement of the wishbone either by using different shocks or attaching steel cables. I believe that apart from keeping the costs down the other reason for the doughnuts was to allow the drive shaft to move laterally.

Correct! The donuts take up both the angular motion and the axial "plunge" as the suspension moves through its travel. The splines on the UJ shafts provide the same function.

Regards,
Dan
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:14 pm

The problem with splines is that they can provide drive or plunge but have difficulty providing both at the same time-in racing this is a serious problem. The BRM V16 Grand Prix car had splined driveshafts-as it was accelerated through a corner and down the straight the car would maintain the lean it had taken in the corner until the driver changed gear, at which point the pause in power would allow the spline to slide and the car to straighten-roller splines were fitted to correct the situation (Doug Nye). On the Series 1 Lotus 26R the driveshafts were 'normal' splines but roller spline drive shafts were fitted to the S2 because of this problem. The Datsun 240z has nice roller spline drive shafts that could probably be adapted...
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:51 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:U/Js don't work too well in the Elans but in the Plus2s they're fine , if you have them with grease nipples installed check the yokes for indentations to accept them...

John :wink:

John,

I have run 3 different road Road Elans with them without problems. Including Zetec. I like them. As you say, keep them greased. I can understand racing issues as described by David.
Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 am

I have 3 Elans.My restored SS has Sprint donuts and the pre-airflow coupe I'm restoring will get the Sprint donuts I had put on it back just before I took it off road.

My 3rd Elan has all the Ser 2 -26R bits, so it has the complete crossed roller "splines" and the correct output diff shafts and stub axle shafts and matching brake discs. I have never driven this car on either street or track as I need to restore it before I do. Its day on the rack is getting closer.

I will need either 26R front flairs and short bumper or a 26R nose w/ the flairs built in. Anyone able to help????

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 am

frogeyesimon wrote:Counting my lucky stars.

Couple of months ago I changed all brake pads. Ever since I've had a soggy brake pedal so I thought I'd investigate as I had trouble retracting one of the rear caliper pistons at the time. So jacked it all up and started taking the caliper off. Got underneath and discovered this....

Anyone in the UK got a set of Plus 2 CV driveshafts going begging at a knock-down price :)
Just asking.....

Could i ask how old the Doughnuts are :?:
I can see they are the Sprint type
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Alan, simple answer is that I don't know. They were on the car when I bought it 3 years ago and I have only done about 5k miles in it since. They haven't been "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" by any means, I had checked their condition regularly.
The biggest surprise to me was the fact that there were absolutely no symptoms whatsoever. No clonks, no vibration, nothing and the damaged coupling could have been in that state for several weeks.

I have now fitted some Tony Thomson solid shafts. This was an easy-ish diy, probably took me about 3-4 hours in total including the removal of the old components.
Only done a dozen or so miles on the new shafts but very pleased with the transformation. No surging, just nice smooth power delivery.
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm

frogeyeSimon: Good to hear you have it sorted out!

Elan45: Curtiss Unlimited fibreglass in California do 26R fenders-I am planning on ordering a full set. Perhaps we should combine orders to make it more attractive for them?
Anybody else interested?

Now we have totally derailed this thread!!
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Well done Simon and count your lucky stars with the broken doughnut
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next