5 speed Gearlever ball.

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:53 pm

I've started a new thread so as not to hijack the other.

I've found the problem with no gear selection. The nylon ball is completely missing / gone / vanished!

p1040733.jpg and

You can see a bit of it on the right. There are other similar size bits inside the housing I have not extricated yet. This must have breaking up for years unnoticed by the PO. Me taking over with a less practiced gearchange technique was the final straw.

So the obvious question is does anyone know where or what I can use as a replacement? There is a thread on stripping the lever down so it can be replaced. Have another made up by a machine shop in Teflon perhaps?

An interesting start to Lotus ownership!

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Vince

Am not sure they are disassemblable (sp) but my balls measure 32mm and here are some from Fleabay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301777947583? ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301777947583? ... MEBIDX%3AI

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:52 pm

You probably find the remains in the bottom of the gearbox. I'd be changing the gearbox oil to get what you can out of the gearbox

Mine is heading the same way. I think the stick is from a ford type e box but pretty hard to find. I estimate the ball on mine is 1 1/4" which lines up with John's measurements.

Like john i don't think the stick is designed to be separated but sure you could split it and get it back together somehow. You probably want to do replace the rubber section too. Would be interested to know how you get on...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Vince
A couple of photos of my stick...( disassembleable )

as is..

2014_0313gearbox0005.jpg and

with quickshift.. ( binned )

2014_0217gearbox0002.jpg and

in situ..

gearlever0004.jpg and

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:31 am

Hi

The lever looks remarkably like that used on a Type 9 box- and as it happens I have two of these levers (both excellent and pretty much unworn) left over from 5 speed conversions. If you send me the dimensions of the ball I'll see if these T9 ones match up- they probably do as I can't imagine Ford altering these much.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:49 am

Thanks for the replies chaps.

As it happens I sold a 5 speed box to a local chap a few months back. I'm off to see him today to
"borrow" his gearlever to measure up. I'll get back to you John.

I was thinking of draining the oil and refilling with 20/50, then driving it gently to, hopefully, flush some more bits out. A sound plan?

Does the spyder chassis have a suitable gearbox filler / level access hole? If not, why not!

john :wink: It take it you have threaded the original stub and the new "solid" lever screws on?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:29 am

"John :wink: It take it you have threaded the original stub and the new "solid" lever screws on?"

nope....tight fit and grub screw.. and it takes up some of the "wobbly" feeling of the original.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:43 pm

worzel wrote:Hi

The lever looks remarkably like that used on a Type 9 box- and as it happens I have two of these levers (both excellent and pretty much unworn) left over from 5 speed conversions. If you send me the dimensions of the ball I'll see if these T9 ones match up- they probably do as I can't imagine Ford altering these much.
Regards
John

I've just measured the lever that I have repatriated.

The ball has an OD of 32.7 mm / length of 22.53 mm. Naturally a bit approximate because of crud etc.

Lever total length of 29.5 cm

It is also clear, as someone has already stated, that the condition of the "bellows" is vital as it holds the lever, and hence the curved bearing surfaces, in place. On the 2 I now have one the original the bellows is split, on the second the circlip is missing.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:14 pm

...are they disassembleable ?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:22 pm

You can buy a salvaged lever from Lotusbits.com. Not expensive. Then just use it or swap the parts which is what I did since my chrome was in better condition.
Here's my write up.
lotus-gearbox-f37/speed-gear-lever-problem-t33628-15.html#p228511

Dougal
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:14 pm

March 2015,I commented on it but don't remember it....

Off to the Old Folks Home...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:17 pm

dougal9887 wrote:You can buy a salvaged lever from Lotusbits.com. Not expensive. Then just use it or swap the parts which is what I did since my chrome was in better condition.
Here's my write up.
lotus-gearbox-f37/speed-gear-lever-problem-t33628-15.html#p228511

Dougal

I read your excellent thread previously. The chrome lever is like your one so could be disassembled. The other one I have is all black and seems a different construction with no obvious point of entry. Perhaps the rubber insert was moulded in situ?? I shall follow your tip and try Lotusbits they seem to have a lever for an S1 Elite for ?15 which would be worth a punt.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:51 pm

worzel wrote: The lever looks remarkably like that used on a Type 9 box

I believe it the same stick with a different mounting system, plates + bolts rather that screw in cap.

I measured the inner diameter of the blue socket/screw cap on my stick yesterday. Was 1 1/4". I was hoping for 1 1/2" as I'd ordered one from McMaster and they don't stock a 1 1/4 one. So will have to try find one on this side of the pond before my ball goes the same way.

john.p.clegg wrote:...are they disassembleable ?

I don't think my black is intended to be dissembled but I am sure some how it will be taken apart and put back together with some different parts...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:56 pm

I have a neighbour who works for an engineering company. He maintains he could easily make replacement balls if there was any interest. Using something called acylic resin ?? That he maintains is better and harder than teflon.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 pm

dougal9887 wrote:You can buy a salvaged lever from Lotusbits.com. Not expensive. Then just use it or swap the parts which is what I did since my chrome was in better condition.
Dougal

Thanks for the tip. I've just received a lever from a S1 Elite. It is identical to the Elan 5 speed. (Apart from the obvious missing bit!)

p1040761.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: