Diff bar torsion rod bushes..

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi,
How easy is it to replace these when the diff is in place? The last time I did them was when the chassis was off the car and the prop shaft was disconnected. The end one seems nice and easy to swap but the inner ones seem a bit more difficult to do, especially if you are replacing them with nice 'hard' poly bushes. Just though I would ask before starting the job... :D

Thanks
Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 pm

Really, it is actually one of the easier things to do on an Elan. Have no fear!
Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:51 pm

toomspj wrote:Really, it is actually one of the easier things to do on an Elan. Have no fear!
Paul

Well I fell for that, unless I am missing something :oops: Two hours later and it's still not fitted back, one one side that is, I haven't even started on the other....

The torque bar came off quite easily, mainly because the rubber bushes were pretty well 'knackered'. Being coated with oil probably didn't help :D

New bushes on (eventually with a bit of washing up liquid, poly bushes are not as flexible as the old rubber ones)

The problem is that I can't get the hole in the back of the torque bar to line up with the stud on the chassis. What's the trick for this, I need to move the bottom of the diff back about 5mm? Should I loosen the top diff mounting bolts? I tried compressing the bushes but still can't quite get enough..

All help welcome...

Carl

(I remember having similar problems when I replaced the chassis in the late 1980s but at least there was no body in the say. Can't remember how I fixed it then...

Carl
Last edited by pereirac on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi

You need to lever back the diff with a piece of timber with the torque rod and bushes in place, then slip the stud end on to the stud.
It works for me

Good luck :wink:
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Hawksfield wrote:Hi

You need to lever back the diff with a piece of timber with the torque rod and bushes in place, then slip the stud end on to the stud.
It works for me

Good luck :wink:

Thanks

Sounds like an idea... What do you lever the diff against??

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Carl,
I found the best way to fit the diff or anything for that matter is to slacken everything off.
Undo all mounting points then fit the lower arms and start tightening everything up gradually it will come together without stressing one particular mount.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:42 pm

Well it is one of the easier things to do - anything on an Elan has bear traps, but on this job it's hard to do irrevocable damage. I take it that you've removed both torsion bars - if not, the remaining one will prevent diff moving. Then, yes, slacken off the bolts through the top mounts so the diff will move enough. (It's easiest if you can have someone hold the spanner on the top, although it is doable on your own).
:D all good fun.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:50 pm

toomspj wrote:Well it is one of the easier things to do - anything on an Elan has bear traps, but on this job it's hard to do irrevocable damage. I take it that you've removed both torsion bars - if not, the remaining one will prevent diff moving. Then, yes, slacken off the bolts through the top mounts so the diff will move enough. (It's easiest if you can have someone hold the spanner on the top, although it is doable on your own).
:D all good fun.

Paul

As you say Paul "all good fun..." otherwise I would not own a Lotus :-)
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: