Revisit Annular Clutch Setup

PostPost by: fattogatto » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Searches show several threads regarding fitting an annular clutch cylinder to a +2 5 speed but nothing directly relating to the stock TC and standard Elan gearbox. I have seen the MIO Engineering site but can get no response from them. Bean makes a kit but it is for racing purposes and requires a flywheel change and racing clutch, plus a pedal stop. Has anyone developed a standardized kit for the stock engine/gearbox?
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:52 am

I believe Burton offers parts from Titan to fit 2000E/bullet gearboxes (not presented as a kit though).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 pm

Yes, you can get the Titan mount and the annular cylinder from Burton, part numbers APC6C APC5 respectively. You'll still need to supply the release bearing (same as normal) and hoses.

It's not inexpensive and requires some minor modification (possibly holes in bell housing and mounting for bleed hose) to fit.

Paul
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks Paul. Not being familiar with the nomenclatures - one assumes the standard Lotus Elan S3 gearbox as fitted is the 2000E/Bullet gearbox and that these are bolt-on applications?
I have a release bearing and the mods are no issue. A pedal stop will have to be worked up.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ort » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 pm

the release bearing is burton part number hd 4941 which I believe is a SAAB bearing. I plumbed inside the bell housing with solid pipes through the original clutch arm hole and run them over the bell housing away from the exhaust to braided hoses with a bleed point high on the bulkhead to make bleeding easy. I've used this set up for over 15 years without any issues on a type9 box.
iain
First Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks. Do you have a pedal stop to restrict the distance the throw out bearing moves?
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ort » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:02 pm

no. I'm using a .7 master cyl in a bias pedal box with an adjustable length push rod and it seems to be well matched to the slave.
iain
First Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:13 am

ort wrote:no. I'm using a .7 master cyl in a bias pedal box with an adjustable length push rod and it seems to be well matched to the slave.
iain

Meaning you simply push the clutch pedal as far as it will go?
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ort » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:03 pm

yes . the pedal stroke is slightly shorter so it sits a little closer to the bulkhead which I don't find a problem.
First Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:54 pm

I have used the Tilton unit for both race applications ( their clutch and Alu flywheel ) and Street ( steel stock wheel and a AP clutch and disk ) no issues with either . there only difference is the spacers . Available from Taylor Race here in the states . They are are pricey though.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: