Clutch Assembly

PostPost by: Wevster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:25 pm

My carrier is 1" long, is this correct or not for a +2 130 5 speed? Anyone know the right size?

Cheers
Kev
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:29 pm

I would need to check I have a spare one in the garage ...... somewhere.

I will have a look tomorrow night if no one answers in the meantime

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:54 pm

From what I see the thrust bearing you have fitted is wrong.

Also, the 5 speed bearing is completely a different shape - similar to the 'rounded' one you are pictured holding.

That's because the 4 speed always used the triangular spacer on the pressure plate, unlike the 5 speed which used the 'open fingers' and rounded release bearing.

Also, the thrust bearing carrier is a different item between 4 and 5 speed, to accommodate the the different sized release bearing.

The two sets of carrier and bearing are not (shouldn't be) interchangeable !

If you look on previous posts regards 5 speed conversions (noteably the one with Alex Black and John Clegg involved, They had to go to a lot of trouble to get the correct bearing / carrier set up, sorted. From memory, a dimensioned drawing of the dedicated / correct 5 speed Carrier was posted to enable Alex to machine down the 4 speed carrier to suit the 5 speed one.

It looks like someone has either converted the 4 speed one of yours already, or you've got a setup that's been 'Bastardised' ( scuse the French!) at some stage, possibly.

I've just been supplied with a new 5 speed carrier from SJ Sportscars ( he gets them made to order) - so I'll check sizes for you also.

It looks as if you've got a mixed up set of parts there?

I would suggest you replace the pressure plate at this juncture, also.

Did you do the conversion, was it done by a PO, or whatever?

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:29 pm

I now realise I've got the wrong bearing, SJ Sportscars will swop as they sent me the wrong one. Steve said he couldn't give details of 5 speed carrier over the phone and his website doesn't show a picture or give dimensions, so I'm still none the wiser. I think all I need is a slightly longer carrier, its just finding one!

Kev.
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:42 pm

Kev
Just dug this picture up....

scanclutch.jpg and

..from memory the five speed pressure plate has no platen which alters its depth,so one needs to pack out the bearing carrier or bring forward the pivot or a little of both,or source the correct bearing carrier..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks John, I did find your drawing on your old thread about 10 pages in!! My carrier is bigger as you can see from photo, could it be correct 5 speed?
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:21 am

Yes it looks like you have the correct 5 speed bearing carrier.

Photo of 4 speed on right versus 5 speed on left.

4-speed-versus-5-speed-thrust-bearing-carrier.jpg and

Apart from being longer at 11.5 mm and 14 mm for the two sections on the 5 speed versus 8.2 mm and 11.2 mm for the 4 speed
The bore ID is also different with the 5 speed 31.75 mm versus the 4 speed at 30.6 mm

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:58 am

Thanks Rohan, I'll wait for a new bearing and try again, I still think there will be a lot of travel as the bearings are relatively similar in thickness, can it be setup and tested without fluid, ie, on the bench? And is it wise to bring the pivot bolt out slightly with a washer or two?

Cheers
Kev.
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:10 am

You can bring the pivot point out if you want / need to do that for a solution to give more adjustment on the push rod. However I would first try to understand what the problem is

A few things could be causing it apart from the pivot point position..i.e.

The lever arm is bent or the pivot point worn
The C spacer ends are worn
The diaphram spring has got tired and the fingers are not as high as they should be.

A new full thickness clutch plate results in the diaphram spring arms recessing more also. There was a lotus bulletin for the 5 speed gearbox that advised machining a small amount of the standard clutch plate hub to prevent fouling if you have not done that it may also cause what you are seeing. .

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:28 am

..and as if by magic...

clutchmod.jpg and

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks guys, I'll certainly look into those points, I may have to obtain a new clutch plate cover and look at the fork more carefully .

Cheers
Kev.
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Just to update, SJSportscars exchanged release bearings, and guess what the new one turned up and it's the same as the one I sent back!! I've done some research reading Paul Robinshaw & Christopher Ross Authentic Lotus and they list my old bearing as a 4 speed (see photos). SJ's bearing hasn't any markings.
Confusing or what...

Kev.
Attachments
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
image.jpeg and
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Kev
If you're stuck I might have one in the shed,I'll take a look in the morning.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Cheers John

Kev.
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:34 am

Kev
Before I go into the shed could you look at your photo 4Jan 5:39 as the two bearings seem to have different IDs ( could be the photo? ).

Is your old rounded bearing knackered ( I know it's good practice to change while it's out ),

So as to not fill up the forum with bumph shall we continue via Pms ?

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: