105E gearbox

PostPost by: markg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:26 am

Hi
I have the option to buy an earlier Plus 2 (I already have a Series 3 Elan). Like many Plus 2's the Engine and Gearbox are missing. I have a couple of engines that are spare, but I have no gearbox.

I've recently seen a 105E Gearbox for sale at a very good price. It's advertised as a 2000E/Bullet box, but it is likely to have standard ratio gears in it. Now, I wouldn't be after anything fancy, like the Ultra close ratio box, that I've read about, just a usuable road going gearbox.

What would I need to convert this box to original lotus spec, so that I can give a sorry Plus 2 a new lease of life.

Thanks Mark G
markg
New-tral

PostPost by: Craven » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 am

Hi,
Converting is not really an economical option, it?s true there are some usable components but the laygear is different as is the input gear, which are probably the more expensive and difficult to source.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:59 am

Hi

This may be of interest as looks a good price relative to buying a gearbox that requires work, I have not used this company so I cannot give any recommendation

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161899736868? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40 pm

Mark,
You need to go onto one of the Anglia web sites as there is (or was) a good description of how to make a 2000e box. The 997cc Anglia box is NOT the one you need to start with. You need a 1200cc Anglia box. I think some of the Cortina boxes are also OK.
However the hardest part is getting the correct ratios.
Edit, here's the link http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub.co. ... -a-change/
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: markg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Craven wrote:Hi,
Converting is not really an economical option, it?s true there are some usable components but the laygear is different as is the input gear, which are probably the more expensive and difficult to source.
Ron.

Thanks, that useful to know, I think I'll pass on it.
markg
New-tral

PostPost by: markg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:16 pm

batfish wrote:Hi

This may be of interest as looks a good price relative to buying a gearbox that requires work, I have not used this company so I cannot give any recommendation

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161899736868? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I look for stuff on ebay all the time but I didn't know about this. at the price this company is quoting it hardly seems worth messing about. I'll contact them. Also, it appears they dont want an exchange unit. Great. No brainer really.

Thanks again.
markg
New-tral

PostPost by: markg » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:24 pm

elanman999 wrote:Mark,
You need to go onto one of the Anglia web sites as there is (or was) a good description of how to make a 2000e box. The 997cc Anglia box is NOT the one you need to start with. You need a 1200cc Anglia box. I think some of the Cortina boxes are also OK.
However the hardest part is getting the correct ratios.
Edit, here's the link http://www.fordanglia105eownersclub.co. ... -a-change/
Cheers
John

Hi John.

I,ve read that article thanks. It seems that it's not as big an issue as ithought it might be. I restored my own Elan gearbox 25 years ago and parts were readily available, but there was hardly a part serviceable in it. Looking at the company advertising on Ebay, their charging less now for a fully reconditioned, and guaranteed box that I paid back then.
So I;ll stop worrying.

Thanks again for you all the info.
markg
New-tral

PostPost by: patrics » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:01 pm

Mark,
Some of the 105e gearbox's for sale are cheap because they are 3 speed so always ask the direct question - is it 3 or 4 speed?

I have talked to Mark at MKF seems like a sound chap to me so going to purchase a load of parts soon - they also make the 5 speed version of the 2000e box

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Steve,
ALL of the 105E anglias (997cc) had a 4 speed box. But it only had synchromesh on the top 3 gears, 1st was a "crash" gear.
Edit, the 123E (1198cc) had the 4 speed all synchromesh box.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: