differential rebuild

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:15 am

seniorchristo wrote: I have spent so much time fiddling with this diff that I think I can guestimate preload and backlash almost by feel :lol: Since the pattern again looked ok I will be buttoning things up soon

When I was regularly doing them thats exactly what I did eventually, the guages would only come out if something felt incorrect.

Now I would have to start from scratch again using guages and probably redo the set up a few times before being comfortable and confident with the results.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marode » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:23 pm

I'm about to finish my 1st differential rebuilt these days. Unfortunately I just found out that I forgot to order some parts to complete the job, because they were not included in the diff-rebuild kit I bought. Anyway, what's missing now is the diff output bearings and its circlips. I'm trying to source them locally (Germany) because since Brexit it takes ages to order from UK. About the bearings I found out here that they are SKF 6206-2RS1 or equivalent. What I still don´t know is, what grade of radial bearing clearance. SKF lists different types C2 up to C5. Any ideas? C3? Then there're different types of grease, reflected by additional letters, e.g. 6206-2RS1-C3-WT-SKF, where "WT" seems to be a grease type with an ideal heat range around 100° Celsius. So even more confusing. Also I would have to order the circlips from somewhere, small inner and bigger outer. I´d be really thankful for any hints that could avoid ordering 4 circlips from UK and waiting for another two weeks. Thank you!

Matthias

33 choices:
https://www.skf.com/uk/search-results?q ... et=English
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-25 um 13.52.45.jpg and
Last edited by marode on Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:18 pm

Mathias
They are outer rear wheel bearings for a Elan Plus two
John
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:14 pm

TTR supplied me with NSK 6206DDUCM bearings for diff/wheels. I think these are just there number for "standard" 6206 2RS bearings. Personally I don't think anything that specific is needed, just a standard 6206-2RS will do.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:57 pm

C1 to C5 is bearing race clearance with C1 being very tight and C5 bearing loose. C3 is normal or standard. WT is the grease specification. C1 to C5 may use different greases to match the clearance.

C3 will be what was used originally in the diff output shaft bearings

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:46 pm

F64F52AC-5056-4805-A61C-AB7A1D2FC04C.png and
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: marode » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 am

thanks gentleman for your thoughts. I knew what these numbers stand for as you can also find the explanation on SKFs site. Just didn't know what type for this specific purpose. Certainly not C5, more regular or C3. Also I wasn't sure with the different grease choices. Kelvedon sells wheel bearings for 26R race shafts in C3 spec, so I thought that's a quite similar use, other then I´m not going to race the car. In the end I ordered a two regular bearings together with the circlips from here:

https://de.rubix.com/de/rillenkugellager/p-G1321009908

https://de.rubix.com/de/sicherungsringe ... 1282064566

https://de.rubix.com/de/sicherungsringe ... 1282064832

and hope the parts fit my carrier and do the job.

cheers
Matthias
marode
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:41 pm

AS an aside, if you have output shafts that resemble the picture[necked down in the middle], this is the time to update. I did my first diff rebuild when one of those disintegrated on the way to a car show
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:02 pm

gus wrote:AS an aside, if you have output shafts that resemble the picture[necked down in the middle], this is the time to update. I did my first diff rebuild when one of those disintegrated on the way to a car show

I fully agree with these comments. The steel used in these early shafts was poor quality and it tended to twist and ultimately fail normally where the splines exited the diff carrier. This happens whether using donuts or CV,s but CVs probably accelrate the inevitable failure.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: