5 speed to 4 speed conversion

PostPost by: l10tus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Toomspj,

Do the non- standard size tyres clear the arches etc - or does it cause body / suspension fouling / issues ?

What sort of wheels do you have fitted ?

Did you convert to narrow springs, perches etc. ?

What make of tyres are you using. ?

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

Sometimes my Lotus makes me cry.
l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Phil

The 165/70-13 tyres fitted without having to adjust the body and with standard springs. The previous owner had used his portable press (hammer) to slightly flatten the spring retainer, although I'm not sure it was necessary.

I've since fitted narrow springs (2 years ago) in order to be able to change spring rate easily and to adjust ride height - I went for 100 lb springs all round which is in my opinion a good compromise.

The tyres are Dunlop D83J tyres, which have been reintroduced as historic tarmac rally tyres - I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend them. When they were first fitted to my car I think they were in use as circuit tyres. I am about to change them out, probably for Michelin XAS FF as the Dunlops are pretty lethal in the wet and are pretty much worn out after nearly 10 years!

If you have narrow springs you should be able to fit 175 section tyres - we use 175/60-13 Yokohama A048 for racing on standard shelled S3 and S4 cars but on 5 1/2" rims. (They will comfortably fit on a 5" rim). I personally don't like the look of Yokohama's on a 1960's car. So a 175/70-13 could be another way to increase gearing

Above all, just relax and enjoy the revs! Mind you I always drive with the top down - it's pretty noisy with the hood up.

Paul Tooms
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Paul,

Thanks for the info.

Great answer thanks.

I'll bow out of this one now, as I think that's probably the last item to consider that may influence the gearing.

Regards,

Phil.
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:41 am

Phil matey,

I think you've been spoiled by the comforts of modern motoring and may never really enjoy an Elan because of this. It's not classic driving but it is a really nice place to be - but go have a look at and drive an SLK. I've got the 1.8 supercharged 6 speed manual. Fold away roof, heated seats, air scarf very little to dislike about if. It's all about enjoying your car and if you don't really enjoy the Elan then pass it onto to someone else and move on. Doesn't stop you admiring or desiring an Elan but maybe it's just not for you??
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: l10tus » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 pm

image.jpeg and
Steve,

Maybe I enjoyed the rebuilding, more than I do driving it ?
Philip.

UK '72 Sprint DHC

l10tus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:23 pm

"Maybe I enjoyed the rebuilding, more than I do driving it "

That is not uncommon.

John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:56 pm

l10tus wrote:
image.jpeg
Steve,

Maybe I enjoyed the rebuilding, more than I do driving it ?

Maybe a bit quieter with that sill painted black?? :oops: :oops:

Seriously though Phil give it sometime and enjoy the noise on short blats!!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: