Gary, any news?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:40 pm

I reinstalled the lever this morning and we're in business! Thanks everyone for all of your help.
I love it when a relatively simple fix resolves what could have been a much more complicated resolution.
I'm back on the road... even backwards! Thanks!

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:47 pm

So what was the fix?
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm not quite sure what the real cause was, as it still doesn't operate as it did originally. It's a concerted effort to get it out of reverse once engaged, and in engaging reverse I have to give it several tries before it does engage. But it does engage eventually.

I think perhaps the shifter may have "shifted" somewhat from being 90-degrees true, due to the bushing in the shifter knob having given a bit, and the proper angle for the throw into reverse may have been affected. I changed out the gasket under the shifter cap for a 0.016" gasket, but I think that probably has no real bearing on the situation.

Regardless, I learned a little bit about what's "down the mysterious hole" in my transmission shifter, and I'm happy that I can back out of the driveway and enjoy my Sunday drives once more. Thanks for the help everyone.

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:20 pm

To hijack this thread ever so slightly, my gearbox goes into reverse OK, but needs the lever to be knocked firmly to come out of it. Any suggestions?

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Replacing my original plastic shifter cap, I inadvertantly stripped the lower threads on it. So I ordered an aluminum replacement cap from rd Enterprises; it works like a charm. One interesting thing that I noticed was how different the profiles are, with the rd Ent cap being a much lower profile. I must say though that I prefer the aluminum cap, especially when popping the gear into reverse. I feel that it will take a little more abuse, and the aluminum threads give it a more solid bite. (I think the lower profile cap throws the theory about gasket thickness out the window as well.)

Gary
'71 Sprint FHD
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Shifter Caps.jpg and
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi,
May be of interest, an early steel cap later changed to plastic. A later lever ball made in plastic, Ford clearly ? played ? around with various combination over the years mainly I think to reduce gear sizzle, Lotus attempts were to fit an isolation bush in the lever its self.
Ron.

P1020915.JPG and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: