CV Driveshaft kit

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:18 am

Hi,
Can anyone provide any information as to who makes CV Driveshaft Kits for S1 Elans, which, if any, are better than the others, and some idea of the cost.

Many thanks,

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 am

Ian
I bought mine from Kelvedon. These are the CV driveshafts that Sue Miller used to supply. I fitted mine last year to my S3 and have done 3k miles with no problems. I cannot see anything on the product description that indicates they will not fit your S1.
http://www.kelsport.net/parts/product_d ... ctionID=27
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 am

I presume that ?495 is for a pair, not each side ?

I was going to warn about limiting the droop, but I see Kelvedon make a note in that advert already.

<later>
Ah, just spotted that it does say (Pair) on the CV shafts.

The limited droop shock absorbers suggessted seem to cost ?90 each and you must buy in pairs.
http://www.kelsport.net/parts/product_d ... ctionID=26
Last edited by billwill on Mon May 04, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ecamiel » Mon May 04, 2015 10:56 am

I prefer the ones which also replace the diff output shaft as these are weak in stock form.

Eric 64 S1
ecamiel
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:07 am

I believe the standard S1 shafts had a smaller PCD for the donuts than the later cars ( though they used the same donuts) so you may need to replace the shafts to match the CV kits unless they will make them for the smaller PCD as a special. However as observed by others you probably want to replace the diff output shafts with later ones wth the later PCD at least if its not already been done as they are a weak point.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon May 04, 2015 11:12 am

Rohan,

Is there any way you can tell if your diff output shafts are the early weaker ones or later stronger ones?

Assuming that the PCD radius mentioned above is not a defining factor.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 am

You need to pull out the shafts as the external parts are identical. The later stronger shafts introduced around 1969 or 70 did not have the reduced diameter section between the end spine and the bearing. The smaller PCD shafts used on the S1 and early S2 I believe were the same forging as the shafts used up till 1969/70 but were just drilled for a slightly smaller PCD for some reason

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:19 pm

Rohan,
I thought the stronger (sprint) shafts all had the safety pin on them or did they make some without the pins? You can see if the pin has been sawn off.
You can tell the TTR ones as they are machined from solid.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:49 pm

I think the stronger shafts were introduced some time before the donuts fail-safe pins were introduced, I have certainly seen ones that never had the pins. Yes the new emplacements are all typically machined from billet and are different externally from the Lotus originals

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 am

ianashdown wrote:Hi,
Can anyone provide any information as to who makes CV Driveshaft Kits for S1 Elans, which, if any, are better than the others, and some idea of the cost.

Many thanks,

Ian

Ian,

I bought a pair of CV axles from JAE Parts. They are the same ones sold by Bean and RD Ent. They are very good quality. The old diff output shafts are replaced with new stronger ones. John Kouba, Lotus Racing West builds them for the above parts suppliers, but does not sell direct.

I broke my one of my original diff output shafts 30 years ago from autocrossing. The other was about to break. I bought a set of the uprated shafts built by Kouba at the time and they held up well. The donuts, not so much, which is why I am converting to CVs.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: potleyu18 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:52 pm

I've just picked up a pair from Spyder Cars they still retain a rotoflex at one end but there is a fixing which prevent a complete failure haven't fitted them yet but look superb craftsmanship and highly recommend them.
potleyu18
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ianashdown57 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 pm

I think I'm going to continue to pursue designing and making a TriPod driveshaft system. These joints are a very good system, used on just about every modern race car and many mini-vans etc!, efficient, safe, and will allow more angularity (droop) than CV's. I've designed and option to use the standard inner spider and also one that replaces the inner with and integral shaft/Tripod housing. Both allow slightly longer shafts which helps with the angle at the extremes of travel.

Ian
Ianashdown57
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sat May 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi,
Later type at the top.
Ron.
P1020695.JPG and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat May 23, 2015 11:08 pm

rgh0 wrote:I believe the standard S1 shafts had a smaller PCD for the donuts than the later cars ( though they used the same donuts) so you may need to replace the shafts to match the CV kits unless they will make them for the smaller PCD as a special. However as observed by others you probably want to replace the diff output shafts with later ones wth the later PCD at least if its not already been done as they are a weak point.

cheers
Rohan

Doesn't really matter but I thought the early donut PCD was larger than the later???

Kurt.
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sun May 24, 2015 12:27 am

I use CV axles from Elantrikbits, Australia. They eliminate problems with angularity but do not include new inner axles. :)
http://www.elantrikbits.com/
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: