Gear selector..

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi all.

I'm having one of those days where you think your getting loads done on your rebuild then this happens.....
P1030969.JPG and

So i've taken the selector out of the gear box to have a look at it
P1030972.JPG and

To be quite honest i've not started to search to see if there is a fix for it i'm still sick from snapping it off, it was one of those things where every time i tried to select reverse the Chrome section slid round so i thought i'd replace the Rubber bush (because i thought the insert had separated from the rubber) but when i put it all back together it still did it so i decided to tighten it a little more and that's when it snapped off :roll:

So now instead of struggling with reverse i don't have any gears :cry: i'm hoping some one out there has one or knows where i can get hold of one but if that fails i'll have to try and repair it (which looks like fun) it's a bit of a daft design really because there isn't anything to stop the Chrome section turning apart from how tight the nut is and there isn't a very big surface area on the bush to tighten too.

If anyone has any idea how i can fix this i would appreciate it.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:44 pm

Chris, I was browsing ebay in the Classic Lotus Parts section yesterday and I'm sure I saw an Elan gear change like yours for sale. I'll try and find it again.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Here it is, hope I've managed to transfer the link OK, BUT...... bidding starts at ? 150 + ?25 delivery :shock: :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-GE ... 19fb1d6530

Think I should have done something else so that you could just click on it. Sorry, I'm just a bit of a dumbo when it comes to this sort of thing :? Oh, it does work, not such a dumbo after all :lol:

I think I'd be looking at repairing your own!
BTW it was in ordinary car parts not classic
Hope it's useful
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Chris,

You do not show a large washer in any of your pictures, and I think that that was your problem.

The CORRECT bush is recessed into the gear lever. Then a thick washer fits into the recess and the long nut fits through the washer and tightens. The thick washer spreads the load onto the bush, and that stops it from coming undone. I say CORRECT bush, as I understand the bushes that fit the lever to the right length, are no longer available. That situation may have changed recently.

My mind may be playing tricks, and the washer could be an integral part of the nut, its a long time since I looked at that part, but far to cold to move from the fire and have a look in the workshop. Something is missing in your picture anyhow.

All for when you have found another selector!!!!

And that Ebay seller............what ridiculous p&p charges, not to mention starting prices for his items. Clutse.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:14 pm

Geoffers71, Good find but ?175 is more than i was hoping to spend on it (think if there that sort of price i would look into getting it repaired)

Leslie, There is a washer that was between the Bush and broken bit but is a tight fit so the Bush sits on top of it, there was no other washer on it when i got the car but that said the selector was loose as if it had been removed when the body came off.

Think i'm going to give the car a rest for a bit because i've just managed to drop the bonnet just to add Insult to Injury so my day is going very badly.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: velo5338 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of mine ('72 Elan Sprint). As just can see the nut does have an integral washer that is a close fit inside the chrome tube part of the gear lever, and bears down on the bush.

Just a thought, I don't know for sure but wouldn't be at all surprised if the Elan gear selector didn't start off as a std. (non-remote gearshift) Cortina or Classic or even Anglia gear lever. (they all went directly into the gear box and were long). The gear lever may have been just cut short and threaded (typical Chapman strategy for low volume parts). Might be possible to find one of those levers at a more reasonable price and modify it.

Mike
Attachments
Elan gearlever2.jpg and
Elan gearlever.jpg and
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm tempted to drill and tap it then fit a stud, have to weigh up how much meat there is in it.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:42 pm

Being a welder, I would just cut back the damaged part and weld on a suitably modified bolt. Being able to chuck it up in a lathe and clean it up afterwords would be a plus.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:02 am

Both Kelvedon and Tony Thompson offer new replacements including short-throw options.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Grizzly wrote:I'm tempted to drill and tap it then fit a stud, have to weigh up how much meat there is in it.

Been there done that! - see http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-gearbox-f37/gear-lever-came-off-hand-t31080.html

I ended up getting a new gear selector assembly (unfortunately threw the repaired one away...) I think I paid about $70 for a good assembly, they are out there. 150 pounds for a rusty assembly is a rip off...

The thread that comes out of the lever is a shrink or press fit plain shaft the other end. Id you can mount the selector in a lath you can drill it out & then thread it for a length of stud.

Good luck...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Not exactly the same, but will this one be of any help to you or anyone else?
2014-04-02 02.51.08.jpg and
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks for the offer Russ but i'm going to have a go at repairing mine. I'll left you know if i make a mess off it :roll: (seems to be theme at the moment)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:44 pm

CBUEB1771 wrote:Both Kelvedon and Tony Thompson offer new replacements including short-throw options.

Out of Interest, i did see this gear lever when i was searching for a replacement http://www.kelsport.net/parts/product_d ... ctionID=27 doesn't it mean the selector sits too close to the dash??

Also just while i'm thinking on, where is the best place to get a proper selector bush? My original is a Rubber bush kinda like a Suspension arm bush but the one i got from SJSportscar is a nylon bush with a metal sleeve, i'm sure it would do the job but the metal sleeve doesn't seem to have as much contact area to the washer so it digs into it (if that makes sense) i love the gear shift on my +2 and would love to get this 2 seater as similar as possible so as i'll have to order a new top nut anyway i might see if Sue Miller has the rubber type Bush. (Probably answer my own question)
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:48 pm

Should be able to salvage the top nut by drilling the broken stud and using an easy-out.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:25 am

nomad wrote:Should be able to salvage the top nut by drilling the broken stud and using an easy-out.

Kurt

Yes as they are unobtainable, except from Alex Black ( :wink: )
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: