Sprint Clutch Flexible Hose

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:46 pm

I'm looking to replace the stock 14-inch flexible clutch hose on my '71 Sprint with a new stainless steel hose and hose ends. I only want to replace this short length of flexible hose along with the appropriate end connectors, while maintaining the stock metal brake lines and connectors that this hose connects to. Many of the usual vendors just seem to have braided hoses that replace the entire line from master to slave cylinder; that's not what I'm looking for. I assume that I'll have the hose custom fabricated at Pegasus Racing or some similar outfit. What # hose and what end fittings should be affixed? Hydraulic plumbing is not my forte.

Thanks,

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Clutch Hose 2.jpg and
Existing rubber hose and connector
Clutch Hose 1.jpg and
Existing rubber hose and connector
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 am

I think you will find its the same as the normal front brake hose,

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:43 am

I know you're a fair way away from Paul Matty Gary but I bought the same hose you are looking for from him a few years ago, they sold both lengths at the time. Might be cheaper than having made...

Cheers

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:29 am

I've recently diagnosed the clutch problems I've had as being down to disintegration of the flexible pipe, so worth replacing. I must say, having replaced the whole thing, I'd recommend the master cylinder to slave replacement. I got mine from Pat Thomas at Kelvedon. They make them up. Like you, it's new territory to me making up flexible hoses, but that's the sort of fun I enjoy. So, I tried to price it through Demon Tweaks and Merlin Motorsport, and it wasn't much cheaper. If you want just the flexible pipe, ask Pat for a quote and it will have all the right ends on.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that although I'm in the states, my Elan is RHD. I believe the stock lengths they sell here are for LHD only (shorter I believe.) The money I might save by purchasing a pre-made one from PM in the UK might well be offset by the high postage rate, unfortunately. There are some on eBay, but they don't specify the lengths.

I'm sure Rohan is correct about the ends being the same as a brake hose, but those seem to come in groups of 4 only. I found that Pegasus Racing, here in the states, has individual 14-inch braided hose with pre-made ends for $14.50, that accept various brake adapter fittings. I've got an email into Pegasus and hope to hear back on Monday to spec the proper fittings.

Thank you again.

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Hi
Hose size -3
Connectors Male Bulkhead Convex 3/8 x 24 UNF
Same each end.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:15 pm

For a stainless steel braided clutch hose for a RHD Sprint, utilizing existing bulkheads, I got this list after speaking with Pegasus Auto Racing here in the States. The braided hose (Goodridge) uses AN bulkhead connectors, which means that the solid brake line pipe (Bundy pipe) that it connects to must have a 37-degree single flair (as opposed to the standard 45-degree flair) to make a tight fitting. That requires a special 37-degree flairing tool. This was a bit of an education for me, as I'm hydraulically challenged, but I thought it might benefit someone else.

(1) 14-inch size 3 TFE Hose, straight swivels both ends
(2) Steel Bulkhead Union, 3AN/3AN
(2) AN 316 Jam Nut, 3/8-24 Right Hand
(2) Steel Tube Nut, 3AN (3/8-24 tube)
(2) Steel Tube Sleeve, 3AN (3/16 tube)

Interestingly, I also found out that "AN" stands for "Army-Navy," as these hoses and connectors were originally made to military specifications.

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Flexible AN Clutch Hose Assembly for Sprint.jpg and
Same connection, both ends
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Apx » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:17 am

S J Sports cars have them in stock, i fitted on yesterday, you can find them on www.sjsportscars.co.uk. Easy to fit, bugger to bleed!
IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED
SOMETHING.
Apx
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:36 am

Hi
Boy do you guy?s lead a complicated life!
Pic shows a Bulkhead fitting that fits directly to a size 3 hose and has a cone angle of 45 deg.
Ron.
Attachments
P1020670.JPG and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi,
Even though it doesn't really matter originally clutch hose was 1/4 diameter pipe not -3 (3/16).
Just for info
Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: