Speedo Right Angle Drive Disassembly?

PostPost by: JGeezer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:23 pm

I sourced a right angle drive - finally - but of course it has a busted input quill.

f8347972.jpg and

I am willing to attack this, but how the heck do you get it apart, and get the old quill out?

I seem to recall a pic of a dissembled drive I saw once, but I have been searching our fora for some time and can't come up with it.

Thanks for any help.
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
(Past MGA, MGB, TR6, AH 3000 BJ8, XR4ti, BMW E39 540i/6, Lola T644 ... )
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:05 pm

types26/36 wrote:http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-gearbox-f37/speedo-angle-drive-t15817.html

That's the one, thanks! Don't know why but I just could not find it myself.
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:24 am

...does the quill not just pull out of the drive, as a push/interference fit?

I recall changing one on a Caterham which has a very similar (if not identical) angle drive and this is how it worked.

Be Interested to know as my speedo has just stopped working and this is what I suspect is the cause.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:59 pm

The quill is indeed a push fit. If you can't find a replacement quill, I have succesfully used 1/8" welding rod shaped at both ends with a file. Mifht be possible to make up one from a section of old speedo cable inner, treated to a dose of braze or silver solder at each end then shaped to fit.

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm

jono wrote:...does the quill not just pull out of the drive, as a push/interference fit?

I recall changing one on a Caterham which has a very similar (if not identical) angle drive and this is how it worked.

Be Interested to know as my speedo has just stopped working and this is what I suspect is the cause.

Jon

Mine is not apart yet, but it sure doesn't feel like it will pull out, and other member have mentioned drilling out the old quill from the gear.

I would think a decent design would be as you think, with a pressfit square hole in the gear and a quill long enough to stay engaged at both ends (assuming there's a limit to how far in the transmission end can go). Then you could just replace a broken one with no drama.

I will report more.
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 pm

I have been led to believe that the quill available from Caterham Cars may be suitable. Otherwise Susan Miller can get the units repaired. She did mine recently.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 am

I did mine last night but it turned out to be the new speedo cable and the angle drive and quill were fine, much to my surprise.

I think I had the cable at too tight a radius in the back of the dash and this must have stressed it.

Incidentally I spoke to Susan yesterday and she no longer does exchange angle drive units as folk kept sending her 'exchange' units which we either off another type of car or otherwise incomplete/incapable of re use. I thought that was a great shame and a betrayal of trust - I would have held the miscreants to account if I'd been her :evil:

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 pm

in the past i repaired one. I removed the staking in the alloy body and then removed gear complet with quill. I then replaced the quill with a short length cut from an inner speedo cable. You can form a square on the quill by heating to cherry red and shaping with hammer, very easy
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 pm

alan wrote:in the past i repaired one. I removed the staking in the alloy body and then removed gear complet with quill. I then replaced the quill with a short length cut from an inner speedo cable. You can form a square on the quill by heating to cherry red and shaping with hammer, very easy

I finally got mine apart, and I assume you had to drill out the old quill stub. There have been suggestions here that it's a press fit into the gear, but I certainly can't drive it out.
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:58 am

if i remember correctly, i used heat also when drilling out the quill. To fix the quill in the gear i think i brazed it in the gear. Sorry not to be clearer as i did this maybe 30 years ago
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JGeezer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:57 pm

JGeezer wrote:
jono wrote:...does the quill not just pull out of the drive, as a push/interference fit?

Jon

Mine is not apart yet, but it sure doesn't feel like it will pull out, and other member have mentioned drilling out the old quill from the gear.

I would think a decent design would be as you think, with a pressfit square hole in the gear and a quill long enough to stay engaged at both ends (assuming there's a limit to how far in the transmission end can go). Then you could just replace a broken one with no drama.

I will report more.

I was wrong, it is a press fit. I don't think anyone has shown how the quill fits in the gear before:

IMG_1630.JPG and
J Geezer
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Corvette Coupe
1969 Elan+2 Federal
JGeezer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robertcowie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:22 pm

[quote]

My mangled quill is now out and looks just like the photo provided by jgeezer. So how to fix or replace it? Is the 'quill' that entire assembly, i.e. the short piece of speedo-like cable plus the cylindrical piece it is attached to and that is s slide fit into the barrel of the gear, or is it just the piece of cable, which does not seem to want to come out of the cylindrical part? I am assuming the former.

If so, is it still available from Caterham? I will contact them.

If not, if the part includes the cylinder, then how do you get the speedo-cable-thing out of the cylindrical part?

Thanks for any help!

Robert Cowie
1969 Elan +2 (federal 50-2504)
1974 MGB (chrome bumpers)
Elan +2 1969 50/2504
robertcowie
New-tral

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:29 am

I had the same problem on my S4. Speedograph-Richfield repaired it perfectly and at a reasonable cost and swift turnround.
They also stock a 'new' version which will exactly replicate the original in function, but looks a little different:

http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/rgb2402.html

I don't think the Caterham angle drive fits as the cable square input is a different size. I tried using a spare from my Caterham but the fit was intermittent.

Hope this helps...
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:32 am

I've just realise that you're not ideally placed to deal with Speedograph-Richfield who are in Nottingham, UK but if all else fails I know they deal with customers world wide. Might be worth a try...
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: