Rotoflex "surge" - a definition?

PostPost by: sutol45 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:50 pm

"So you are still suggesting that having designed legendary rear suspension, with unique hub castings and hand made wishbones, that doughnuts were used because they were cheap..."

ABSOLUTELY, as Ron Hickman said at the time...

PS: the employment of 4 x Metalastic drive couplings aka doughnuts was NOT a stupid idea, it WAS BRILLIANT! AND cost effective! DO NOT knock the design!!! It WAS and IS BRILLIANT! But improvements have been made.

I once spent 3-weeks re-fibreglassing a boot of an S4 after one of the doughnuts had 'let go', unfortunately it was on the right hand side (of a UK car) so the fuel tank went as well: that was fun!

Oh yes, I like Metallastic drive couplings aka doughnuts, and I've done thousands of miles on 'em in both the Elan and the PLUS 2, but I do prefer a 'modern' CV joint even at the vastly increased relative cost...
sutol45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Not sure which bit you are quoting, but you seem to agree that the design was foremost, rather than your earlier suggestion that they were used because they were cheap, and that cheap was the overriding criteria.

Do tell what else could they have used with that suspension set-up?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:58 pm

The Ford GT 40's of the period used Metalastic drive couplings as well. I'm sure Ford in their quest to beat Ferrari wasn't just going the cheap route. They too designed them into the best suspension solution that they could come up with at that time.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:24 pm

There's only one way to sort this out......... F I G H T ! ! ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sutol45 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Spyder fan wrote:There's only one way to sort this out......... F I G H T ! ! ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o

I don't really care any more as I now run fast Audi's: it's just funny to "wind up" current owners - excuse the pun!

But it is amazing how many of the current owners are seeking an alternative to the Rotoflex coupling! I wonder why that is?

Happy days?
sutol45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 45bvtc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Bud English wrote:The Ford GT 40's of the period used Metalastic drive couplings as well. I'm sure Ford in their quest to beat Ferrari wasn't just going the cheap route. They too designed them into the best suspension solution that they could come up with at that time.

But the GT40 only had to do 24 hours and have you seen the size of their bl##dy doughnuts. The Lotus 49 was the same and that only had to do 2 hours. I'd want my Elan to do more than both of 'em. :lol:
45bvtc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:18 pm

sutol45 wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:There's only one way to sort this out......... F I G H T ! ! ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o

I don't really care any more as I now run fast Audi's: it's just funny to "wind up" current owners - excuse the pun!

But it is amazing how many of the current owners are seeking an alternative to the Rotoflex coupling! I wonder why that is?

Happy days?

Do you still run any Lotus? Audi's are nice, but a bit mainstream.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Spyder fan wrote:There's only one way to sort this out......... F I G H T ! ! !

naaah! That's the trouble with the internet - if we were in the pub we would have had a good chat.
I'm actually more interested in sutol45's picture. For me that really summs up the whole era. can you imagine having a new car delivered like that now....... the looks....complaints! Who would help you?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:20 am

sue miller has the cv d/shafts back in stock, i took delivery of a set last week, ian.
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sutol45 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

Spyder fan wrote:
sutol45 wrote:

Happy days?

Do you still run any Lotus? Audi's are nice, but a bit mainstream.

No Spyder fan, but I am heavily involved in Elans and Europas here in the UK and in France and Germany helping others, and I still see my own cars regularly..

As for the Audis being mainstream, this one isn't and it's so Elanish in its road manners, really:
Attachments
BLUEY 120.JPG and
sutol45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sutol45 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

AHM wrote:
sutol45 wrote: or weren't there at the time...

Gosh no... I wasn?t born!
sutol45 wrote:I do think some commentators either have forgotten [/i][/color]

Well you can't be referring to me - I run the S3 on the original style Imp doughnuts, so my last experience was this morning.

It also requires a gentle and progressive right foot which is somewhat counterintuitive

And I'll bet you're a smooooth driver too, as ALL Elan owners eventually become: that was the wonderful thing about the Rotoflex drive, you HAD to be smooth, and eventually you were/are. A GREAT tool the Elan, just GREAT!

Sorry about the wind up guys BUT like a stick of Blackpool rock I've LOTUS stamped through me from head to toe... I just LOVE 'em!
Last edited by sutol45 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sutol45
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

Nice!
I approve of the colour as well :wink:

Can you get a fag paper in between the top of the tyres and the wheel arches?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sutol45 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am

Spyder fan wrote:Nice!
I approve of the colour as well :wink:

Can you get a fag paper in between the top of the tyres and the wheel arches?

Oh yes with a 255/30 19 (but this is now off topic):
Attachments
RS3_0997.jpg and
sutol45
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: