Lotus Elan rear axle, diff...

PostPost by: Rouet Michel » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 am

Good evening

My name is Michel Rouet, a belgian living in the south of France, and.. I don't own any Lotus today..;(

In fact, I'm registered here to ask something. I'm the owner of a strange english car, a very rare Elva Courier GT.. with a very strange chassis.. a mix of a Courier MK2 and MK4, with IRS....
I've a big problem with the rear transmission. Originally, the cwp comes from a Riley 1500 ;) the casing seems to be specific of a old Elva monoplane, and today, with a MGB engine very strong and powerful, its brake the cwp, and the transmission axles for the second time. That's why I'm looking to replace the rear transmission by a stronger one, and it seems that the Elan rear axle , on pictures, is more of less the same that the actual.
Before to transform all the rear chassis to fix a Elan rear axle, I would like first to know if this part is coming from an other car, or if it is specific to the Elan.
The second question is: can somebody here send me the external sizes of this part ? and some pictures of the fixation points ?
I hope you can help me..;) if you want to see the car, go to www.racing-bull.com
best regards to everybody, Michel
Rouet Michel
New-tral

PostPost by: SonnyS » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:23 am

Rouet Michel wrote:Good evening

My name is Michel Rouet, a belgian living in the south of France, and.. I don't own any Lotus today..;(

In fact, I'm registered here to ask something. I'm the owner of a strange english car, a very rare Elva Courier GT.. with a very strange chassis.. a mix of a Courier MK2 and MK4, with IRS....
I've a big problem with the rear transmission. Originally, the cwp comes from a Riley 1500 ;) the casing seems to be specific of a old Elva monoplane, and today, with a MGB engine very strong and powerful, its brake the cwp, and the transmission axles for the second time. That's why I'm looking to replace the rear transmission by a stronger one, and it seems that the Elan rear axle , on pictures, is more of less the same that the actual.
Before to transform all the rear chassis to fix a Elan rear axle, I would like first to know if this part is coming from an other car, or if it is specific to the Elan.
The second question is: can somebody here send me the external sizes of this part ? and some pictures of the fixation points ?
I hope you can help me..;) if you want to see the car, go to http://www.racing-bull.com
best regards to everybody, Michel

Hi Michel,

hope they dont mind but maybe these guys have a spare axle for you to measure up. They seem to be in your neighborhood
right-side-pond-f28/elan-owners-the-french-riviera-nice-cannes-monaco-t26394.html

The aluminum case is a Lotus part that hangs off the frame with rubber mounts with a Ford axle inside but diffrent ratios were used

I just found a pic from the rear on here download/file.php?id=22612

Regards Sonny
SonnyS
New-tral

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:26 am

Hi Michel,

An interesting car, and one with some history behind it as well. As Sonny says, the casing is a Lotus item but the inner workings are Ford components from the period. Lotus differentials do come up for sale on places like Ebay, but you might have to search for a good one.

As an alternative, have you considered the differential from a Ford Sierra ? That seems to be quite common with kit cars these days and will probably be easier and cheaper to find. For example, this website has a good description of what is available;

http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/Sierra_Rear_Differential

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:35 pm

This is the Workshop Manual drawing of it plus a couple of photos which might help. The Sierra unit should be cheaper if nothing else!

Differential mounting (+2 Workshop).jpg and

The top mounting holes are 12" (305mm) apart and the total width about 14" (355mm) and the unit is suspended from them;
The lower mounting holes are about 8?" (222mm) apart and are about 8?" (222mm) from the top of the unit, used for torque control only;
The length of the whole unit is about 19" but others, with a unit on their bench, can give a more accurate figure;

All the mounting rubbers are easily obtained. If you have more than 110 BHP then you ought to consider the Sprint reinforcements to strengthen the casting. I have no details of them.

Differential assembled 297-02.JPG and
Cleaned castings 293-01.JPG and

My previous car was a Courier Mk1 with MGA engine and CR box and had been raced but I used it for four years on the road before buying a reliable car, a Lotus Elan!

in 1967 I saw a coupe in poor condition for sale in a London garage, believed to have been the Earls Court exhibition car, and it had inboard rear brake drums. Is yours the same?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Michel, you have a PM.

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Michel, if you are looking on eBay UK for the actual diff components, try using "English Axle" as your search term. This will give you all the bearings, C&P's, diff carrier, complete units, etc, but may not give the Lotus specific back plate & seals/gaskets.

Unfortunately "English Axle" as a search term doesn't work so well in Google as it thinks you want a definition in the English language. :)

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: