Gearbox reverse switch

PostPost by: potleyu18 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 pm

The wire connection to the switch have broken, i've removed the bolts attache to the gear box support bracket but it still wont release what is the next proceedure.

Steve
potleyu18
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi Steve,
Are you trying to remove the gearbox ? This isn't necessary to get to the reversing light switch although it is a bit of a struggle. You don't say if you have an Elan or a Plus 2 but I would think both cars are similar - on the Elan you can access the switch from the engine compartment to undo the locknut and unscrew the switch from the gearbox for repair on the bench.

Take care when refitting the switch not to screw it in too far or it will prevent engagement of reverse gear.
Reverse light switch access 005a.JPG and
Reverse light switch 006.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Could it be a 5 speed box?
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:37 pm

types26/36 wrote:Could it be a 5 speed box?

Good point Brian.

Steve, if it is a 5 speed box ignore my post, I am refering to a 4 speed.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: potleyu18 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Thanks for the fast response its a plus 2 with a 5 speed.
don't really want to remove the gearbox just re attache the broken wire. the problem is the support bracket is in the way.

any ideas would be welcome.

Steve
potleyu18
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:36 am

Steve, I did a bit of a bodge on my MT75 by positioning a lever action microswitch under the console that is actuated by the shift lever. I did it this way because the reverse switch for the MT75 is NLA and I needed something for MOT. My shift pattern has reverse down and to the right, so it worked out OK.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Oldthumper » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:13 am

This discussion reminds me of something else I need to sort out. I seem to remember,when fitting an exchange gearbox,( in about 78),that it had no reversing light switch fitted. No need to worry,I thought at the time,I can fix it out later! I'm pretty sure it is not a MOT fail,does anyone know for sure?
Ray
Oldthumper
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:47 am

Oldthumper wrote:This discussion reminds me of something else I need to sort out. I seem to remember,when fitting an exchange gearbox,( in about 78),that it had no reversing light switch fitted. No need to worry,I thought at the time,I can fix it out later! I'm pretty sure it is not a MOT fail,does anyone know for sure? Ray

Basingstoke isn't TOO far from Worthing! :)

This outfit seems to know: http://www.basingstokemotandtyrecentre. ... ation.html

Quote: "What don't I need for an MOT test" - their list includes reverse lights.

The site also refers to VOSA:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/C ... efects.pdf

Can't find any mention of reversing lights in operation...just their mounting and whether the reversing lamp indicator is working, or not.

I believe, therefore, if the fix was to fit a manually operated switch it would have to include a warning light in the wiring if not in the switch itself...

Cheers - Richard
Last edited by ardee_selby on Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:27 am

There is a Piston Head thread about it here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 2&d=0&nmt=
and I believe if they are fitted they have to work but if not fitted it is not an MOT issue......although EU regs may now require them :roll:
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: potleyu18 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Tried agin today to release the gearbox mount but the two bolts left holding the cross member just turn freely without undooing obviously the nuts on top of the bracket are not captive.
I cannot see or get to them, the car has a Spyder chassis and i cannot see any mehtod of gaining access to un do them.

Has anybody got any idea's

Steve
potleyu18
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm

Steve,
Sorry I cant help but try posting the question in the Plus Two section as you may get more responses.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: innesw » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Steve,

Yes the nuts above the mount are not captive or integral to the mounting plate, you'll need to get a spanner in there! It's a very tight squeeze but I have big hands and managed to get a spanner on the nut with some manual dexterity. I also had to do the same to fix my reverse light, careful if your removing the switch completely (use the lock nut to mark how far into to screw it when putting it back in and be prepared for the flow of oil out the gearbox or have a same sized bolt ready to hand to block the oil flow.

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: MyLotus » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:01 pm

I need a reverse switch as illustrated by oldelanman. Anyone know a supplier in Canada or the US. Thx.

Alain
Alain Raymond
1970 Lotus Elan S4
www.auto-historia.ca
MyLotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:08 am

Hi Alain,
RD Enterprise in the US has them. http://www.rdent.com/
Spool down toward the bottom of the Elan parts list.
Cheers,
Colin.

MyLotus wrote:I need a reverse switch as illustrated by oldelanman. Anyone know a supplier in Canada or the US. Thx.

Alain
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: