Who is the current best price on cv joint conversions

PostPost by: UNCbigM » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:34 pm

At $1700 shipped to the US I'd be in for a group buy if we could arrange one with some sort of a discount!
Morgan Mehler
26/3656
UNCbigM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:54 am

I have a similar set up to Ginetta's pict, (though not as shiny and pretty looking chassis... :))
I found one end of the shafts in one direction had less angular movement than the others due to casting size / shaft size position etc. arrangement differences - not obvious on first glance. A bit of skillfull grinding/filing not removing much material on the interference points ( in a non stucutural area for those eng. types) increased the movement of that end by about 5 deg. and no interference in hand turning the wheels at full droop was found after. This can be viewed on the bench with a bit of careful placement and comparison of the shaft. Kind of hard to explain in writing.
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 am

I can understand what you experienced and share your pain. I checked my rotation on full droop and there was 0.150" clearance in the worst condition, the U/J knuckle casting mold lines were +/- 0.060" so in one position there was 0.210" clearance and no problems. I can see where the machinist could create your clearance issue if he slightly miss chucked the turning operation.
I also bent the extension arms on my chassis support stands and ruined them in my hurry making sure of this clearance issue !
Attachments
Rear susp 2.jpg and
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: