Who is the current best price on cv joint conversions

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:38 am

Has anyone got to the bottom of why Susan's kit stopped working?

I understood that the CV's used in her solution were standard GKN Lobro CVs. I have not seen reports elsewhere of quality problems with these parts.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 am

Andy8421 wrote:Has anyone got to the bottom of why Susan's kit stopped working?

I understood that the CV's used in her solution were standard GKN Lobro CVs. I have not seen reports elsewhere of quality problems with these parts.

When I saw her at Easter she told me the CVs she had been using were no longer being made.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:40 am

CV chatter chatter chatter chatter chatter chatter. Did someone mention price?
Does anyone have a figure?

Sorry John, I love my rotoflexes and am no help here. It's an Elan originality fluidity nuance thing for me that steel u joint conversions castrate.

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:14 am

I have run the Elan Trickbits CV's for many many years in the Elan and Plus 2 with no problems and Colin is a great guy to deal with. Not the cheapest but probably the best especailly for an Elan with its bigger droop angle which their version can handle. The Elan factory / Lotus marques used to resll these but now makes his own so dont about their quality.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:17 am

Have had them on my S4 for the past two and a half years. No problems so far. I do however have the limited stroke Koni rear shock inserts fitted to limit full droop.
Regards,
Colin.

TroonSprint wrote:This Australian drive shaft looks good to me - has anyone used them? http://www.elantrikbits.com/index.html They are quite pricey, but I won't mind if they are as good as they are cracked up to be.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:20 am

Eric,
If you look here http://www.elantrikbits.com/index.html Colin has all of his prices listed, including postage.
Regards,
Colin (another one)

1964 S1 wrote:CV chatter chatter chatter chatter chatter chatter. Did someone mention price?
Does anyone have a figure?

Sorry John, I love my rotoflexes and am no help here. It's an Elan originality fluidity nuance thing for me that steel u joint conversions castrate.

Eric
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am

As timing is a bit tricky for live phone calls between the UK and Oz, I've had a few email chats with Col at Elantrickbits and he assures me that you don't need to limit the droop as his driveshafts can take it. It's nice to hear of some satisfied customers among us. I think I'll order up a pair.

Thanks,
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Mike,
Just in Hong Kong at the moment heading in your direction for a wedding, at the end of July, in Derby. Have planned to spend two weeks sight seeing the Inner and Outer Hebrides. Any suggestions and must sees? Going to pester some old friends at Auchterader for a couple of days as well. Lucky them!!
Colin.

TroonSprint wrote:As timing is a bit tricky for live phone calls between the UK and Oz, I've had a few email chats with Col at Elantrickbits and he assures me that you don't need to limit the droop as his driveshafts can take it. It's nice to hear of some satisfied customers among us. I think I'll order up a pair.

Thanks,
Mike
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:45 am

Colin - outer hebrides highly recommended, PM sent
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:49 am

65ginetta wrote:I have replaced the rubber donuts with u/j shafts and sliding splines, they came from Paul Matty and should last a lot longer and work much better.
No problem with droop and will safely take more power.

I have looked on the Paul Matty site. What were the part numbers for these? I see some 3X3 kits and 4X3.....like 250 pounds....sounds to cheap so I must be looking wrong....
How much were these? Like I said, I have a friend there now and he could pick me up a set, If I could tell him exactly what to buy.

I dont mind the sliding splines setup. Looks nice.
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Higs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:31 am

TroonSprint wrote:As timing is a bit tricky for live phone calls between the UK and Oz, I've had a few email chats with Col at Elantrickbits and he assures me that you don't need to limit the droop as his driveshafts can take it. It's nice to hear of some satisfied customers among us. I think I'll order up a pair.

Mike

Do you know what duty will be payable when it comes into the UK? Presumably VAT plus other specific duty?

I think the answer is 20% + 5% but have you got better info?

Richard
Higs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 am

Higs wrote:
Do you know what duty will be payable when it comes into the UK? Presumably VAT plus other specific duty?

I think the answer is 20% + 5% but have you got better info?

Richard

That's what I paid a year or so ago when I imported a bike frame from outside the EU. It did annoy me that they also charged VAT on the original cost, plus import duty and carriage costs; I didn't grumble at the "tax on tax" bit but I thought it a bit mean to charge VAT on postage as well. Only a few quid in the end, but it still irked.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 am

Colin wrote
#
Just in Hong Kong at the moment heading in your direction for a wedding, at the end of July, in Derby. Have planned to spend two weeks sight seeing the Inner and Outer Hebrides. Any suggestions and must sees? Going to pester some old friends at Auchterader for a couple of days as well. Lucky them!!

Much to my shame Colin, I have lived in Scotland for over thirty years and have never been to the outer Hebrides. I have been over the sea to Skye (there is a bridge now) and the island is fabulous with mountains in the south and pristine beaches in the north. The mainland opposite Skye is lovely too. If you want a spectacular drive, take the old road across the mountains to Applecross on the coast. Amazing drive and terrific views, plus a friendly pub on the beach when you get there.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks Mike,
Will follow your recommendation. Picked up a funny looking little, pseudo 4x4 Ford this morning and have just spent a lovely evening eating Cumberland sausages with a pint of Boddingtons on the side. All of this whilst enjoying the view over the lake at Bowness. Should make Scotland tomorrow.
Regards,
Colin.

TroonSprint wrote:Colin wrote
#

Much to my shame Colin, I have lived in Scotland for over thirty years and have never been to the outer Hebrides. I have been over the sea to Skye (there is a bridge now) and the island is fabulous with mountains in the south and pristine beaches in the north. The mainland opposite Skye is lovely too. If you want a spectacular drive, take the old road across the mountains to Applecross on the coast. Amazing drive and terrific views, plus a friendly pub on the beach when you get there.

Mike
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:11 pm

I fitted the CV joint conversion sold by Col at Elantrikbits about 4 weeks ago. Couldn't be happier. They are easy to install and, for me at least, definitely improve the driving experience. My original stance was that if Rotoflexs were good enough for Chapman then they were good enough for me, but having tried CVs it's hard to believe that anybody would bother with Rotoflexs any more. And a couple of friends, who don't often drive manuals, let alone rubbery ones, have found the car much easier to drive.

That said, at approx US$1,700, they're expensive. And that's with the ongoing $100 discount. I originally planned to wait until next year, but some Rotoflex splits triggered doing it this year. The price includes shipping, a mere $200 to the US!

They don't include upgraded diff output shafts, but my engine is just a regular Twinc and I doubt is going to twist what's there any time soon. I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Col was easy to work with and very responsive.

Nick
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: