Gearbox oil leak.

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 am

I seem to have bit of a leak and it seems to be coming from the speedo drive output. I am not sure if it is coming from around the outside of it or through the angle gearbox and up through the cable. It may even be from somewhere else and running to this point. I have not taken anything apart to look yet. I just noticed the puddle on the floor of the garage and saw it whilst up on the MOT ramp. Is this a common problem? If so what is the likely cause? I guess there will be an ?o? ring and maybe an external gasket. Does the oil from the gearbox pass into the angle drive to lubricate it or should it all stay in the box? Anyone have a cutaway drawing?
Thanks for any info.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 am

This discussion in this thread may help (includes exploded view showing 'o' ring and gasket)

elan-f15/gearbox-angle-drive-oil-leak-t24083.html

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 am

Excellent thanks for that link.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

I ended up replacing the gasket and the O ring. However, I think the main problem was I topped the gearbox oil up through the Gear lever, and did not drive the car for a long peroid of time. You are supposed to be able to do this, but when I drained the tail shaft housing, and top the gearbox up to the correct level through the hole on the side of the box, the problem disappeared.

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: