UJ v's CV Drive-Shafts.

PostPost by: joc » Thu May 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Recently acquired +2 has very worn rota-flexes, need to be replaced urgently. CV drive-shafts are temporarily unavailable and will to some extent be an unknown when supply resumes. That leaves UJ shafts which some suggest transmit greater noise and vibration than the CVs. Searches have proved inconclusive. Does anyone have experience of using both? Guidance would be very much appreciated. John
joc
New-tral

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Thu May 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes, I've used both and to be honest didn't notice a lot of difference between the two. The UJ based drive shafts need to have sliding splines in them to ensure that the driveshafts are able to change in length as required when the suspension goes up and down. Apparently one of the issues in using them originally instead of donuts was that the splines could lock, stopping the suspension from working properly (cost may also have had something to do with it :-)). I think the modern ones have teflon coating on the splines to prevent this.

UJ and/or CV based driveshafts may transmit greater noise/vibration than the donut type and they won't have the cushioning/wind up effect that the donuts have either. It may be argued that this can have knock-on effects on the rest of the drive line but I've done 30k+ miles in my +2 S130/5 using them (originally UJ-based performance unlimited driveshafts fitted long before I bought the car and then CV based driveshafts) with no particular problems. I changed because the UJ driveshafts had play in the splines after being fitted since '82 - but they were still working OK.

Hope that helps - to me, given the reliability and cost of the donuts it's a no brainer to go to the CV/UJ alternatives.
Last edited by Craig Elliott on Fri May 11, 2012 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jcny » Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 pm

John,

I just made the switch from rotos to CV's (the kits from elantrikbits down under). It has made the car a whole different beast and a lot more fun to drive. I use it mostly for autocrossing, and it has both a Spyder frame and a Quaife differential. I love the more positive feel on clutch release and if there is any more noise, I wouldn't notice it (it runs only lightly muffled...). The install was a snap, too (it helps to have a lift!). I'm pretty sure they have some more CV axles for +2's in stock (I had to wait a bit for the current batch).

jc
jcny
New-tral

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 am

Salut joc

You say +2 CVs are temporarily unavailable - which source?

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: joc » Fri May 11, 2012 9:21 am

The usual sources namely Sue, Paul Matty, Tony Thompson, Kelvesdon and SJ, Vernon. Apparently there have been some issues with recent examples which has led to a halt in availability. Various times have been quoted for new stock, nothing definite. John
joc
New-tral

PostPost by: ceejay » Fri May 11, 2012 9:46 am

No parts availability problems at elantrikbits.com Australia... currently building & supplying
CVDS conversions for both small elan and plus 2.
Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 am

[quote="ceejay"]No parts availability problems at elantrikbits.com Australia... currently building & supplying
Col.[/quote]

Col

I would love to have your driveshafts on my Elan, they look beautifully designed and engineered and worth every penny, its just that I don't have enough of them! I wonder whether UK residents will have to pay VAT etc in addition.

Still on Rotoflexes, but not for ever....

On your website you show a picture of an Elan being restored in France, what are the extra boltheads I can see on the calliper/upright? I note too that there is no parking brake.

Ian
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am

ceejay wrote:No parts availability problems at elantrikbits.com Australia... currently building & supplying
Col.

... at over twice the price of the PM/MM/Kelvedon offers. Maybe the quality justifies the price, but I would have difficulty justifying the investment.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Fri May 11, 2012 10:26 am

They are a world class quality product, best quality CVs, wont break, wont lock up... ever, incredibly easy to fit,
only when you understand what you are getting, will you ackowledge the price... remember the prices includes about
$200.00 for express air freight to USA - Canada, and about $270.00 to UK - Europe.
But how you spend your money, is of course entirely up to you.
Col.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:32 am

Col

I accept they are the best.

Still would like to know about the extra caliper bolts though.

I have just noticed that the word 'Handbrake' in my original reply has been changed to a link to eBay!! I did not do that (to my knowledge). How can that happen, its just weird.

Ian

Edited after posting
Even more wierd, the auction site word I used has also become a link!!

Ian
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Fri May 11, 2012 10:45 am

Yes Ian... I have had that happen too... try typing the word crankcase
and various other auto words and they do the same.... go figure.
It was annoying the hell out of me one day and I cancelled the link out,
but when I re-pasted the article, the link self activated again. :(
:(
Live your dream-wear your passion.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog/
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Fri May 11, 2012 10:46 am

Elanman99 wrote:I have just noticed that the word 'Handbrake' in my original reply has been changed to a link to eBay!! I did not do that (to my knowledge). How can that happen, its just weird.

It's Viglink. There have been posts about it elsewhere on this site.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:55 am

Col

I have just found that there is a button on their site to opt out of viglink.

Just for the hell of it... Handbrake, Crankcase, eBay, Amazon

Ian

(Edit) Rats!! it didn't work, maybe I have to reboot.
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Fri May 11, 2012 11:02 am

Hey we could all get rich.... just wack up dozens....hundreds of content pages
for people to read and click on links.

Google does the same with Adsense... they'll get anywhere between
$1.00 to perhaps $10.00 a click, and you as the content writer , blogger
etc might get ten or twenty cents fro each click, get enough clicks
on your keywords and you "might" get a nice payment from google a
few months down the road...but don't bet your next meal on it
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

[quote=It's Viglink. There have been posts about it elsewhere on this site.[/quote]

questions-f20/word-links-t24762.html
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: