Rotoflex couplings

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Ah, give the poor new guy a break, John. :roll:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spanner » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Sean Murray wrote:I tried jubilee clips to compress the rotoflexes, but found them flimsy and liable to twist. I now use heavy-duty hose clamps "Atlantic 123 -128 " which I have cut and brazed to fit exactly :D

Now that's a funny looking clamp!

http://virtualwayne.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... clamp.html

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-f ... Gizmo.html

S-B
spanner
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TimMullen » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 pm

nebogipfel wrote:pic' has reminded me that you wouldn't just need the intermediate shafts to convert :oops:
I remember back in the 'ol days, that one of the vendors (maybe Dave Bean??) sold a "conversion kit". It was a couple of adapters that attached to each side of the rotoflex - three bolt holes on one side, and the three bolts on the other. It had the center shaft one one side, and a "ring" on the other side (that the center shaft protruded through) that duplicated the effects of the fail-safe without having to replace the axles and shafts.

Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to buy a set, they were no longer available.

Oh yea, when I last replace the rotoflexs, I used three massive hose clamps - as said above, it allowed me to adjust individual "holes" so the bolts could pass through them. It was still a difficult, frustrating, and time consuming task, but it worked much better than the factory band around the rotoflexs.
Tim Mullen

72 Elan S4 Sprint - Colorado Orange over Cirris White
05 Elise - Colorado Orange
TimMullen
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 pm

If you are intending to use jubilee clips as a clamp they do need to be good quality ones. There are quite a few on the market these days which would strip far to easily to be any use. :wink:
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Mikalor or jubilee ....Both of these I have used. Well up to the job. Mikalor I recon are one of the best makes.. MHO...

Also a good idea to put a little lube' onto the worm drive. Helps a lot..

AB....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Henry VIIII » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Tim.Mullen wrote:Oh yea, when I last replace the rotoflexs, I used three massive hose clamps - as said above, it allowed me to adjust individual "holes" so the bolts could pass through them. It was still a difficult, frustrating, and time consuming task, but it worked much better than the factory band around the rotoflexs.

Set them up onto the half-shafts on the workbench! and line up the other holes onto a spare three prong spider (if you have one handy or use the other half-shaft), ready to fit onto the diff & wheel hub, before you get under the car. Much much easier. only minor tweaks if any will be needed on the jubilee clips while under the car.

Henry
1967 S3 FHC
A joke a day helps you work, rest, and play. :lol:
Henry VIIII
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: