What is this under my clutch release bearing carrier?

PostPost by: Steve G » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:14 pm

I took my engine out a while back to replace a stuck clutch release bearing. I ordered a new bearing and carrier from Sue Miller expecting to get a replacement for the 4 inch long steel tube in the picture but did not. The carrier is just a small piece that fits inside the bearing. What is the tube pictured and how do I get a new one? It is all broken along one end and the bearing carrier has worn some pretty deep grooves in it, where I presume the rattly bearing has been moving around with too much play. There is no picture of it in any of my manuals that show how the bearing fits onto the main shaft. Is it something that has broken off that shouldn't have?
Attachments
Old Bearing, new bearing and.jpg and
What is this please.jpg and
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:51 pm

"What is the tube pictured..."

:? :?:

What condition is the retainer (#44) in?

Retainer.jpg and

Could it have been damaged, and someone has sleeved it, in the past?

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:20 pm

It look like it's 45 on your diagram, what is that? It's obviously broken away from the retainer. Sigh, better ask Sue if she does those too...

Thanks for your help.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Steve G wrote:It look like it's 45 on your diagram, what is that? It's obviously broken away from the retainer. Sigh, better ask Sue if she does those too...

Thanks for your help.

#45 is listed as a lock washer. Do you mean the whole "nose" of the retainer has broken off? :shock:

Good Luck - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Yes, sorry, not 45. It look like it's the nose of the retainer as you say. Is it common for this to fail with a worn release bearing? It would explain why I suddenly couldn't engage any gear.
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Steve G wrote:Yes, sorry, not 45. It look like it's the nose of the retainer as you say. Is it common for this to fail with a worn release bearing? It would explain why I suddenly couldn't engage any gear.

(With Alans' permission)

It's a new one on me! (Although a bearing carrier spinning on the retainer has been referred to recently)

The mailing list & subsequent forums have covered just about everything else...but not a failure like that, as far as I know :(

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Ummm...I'm finding Lotus ownership hard. I miss my Honda some days. I've clocked more hours in Aeroplanes than I have my own car in coming up to two years. As soon as I fix something, something else breaks. I understand now why a lot of owners have a fair bit of money and/or are engineering experts! My wife doesn't understand why I have an expensive 'wreck' in the garage when I claim to enjoy driving so much, I wish I could explain it to her but words fail me, maybe I'm an automotive sadist?
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Steve G wrote:Ummm...I'm finding Lotus ownership hard. I miss my Honda some days. I've clocked more hours in Aeroplanes than I have my own car in coming up to two years. As soon as I fix something, something else breaks. I understand now why a lot of owners have a fair bit of money and/or are engineering experts! My wife doesn't understand why I have an expensive 'wreck' in the garage when I claim to enjoy driving so much, I wish I could explain it to her but words fail me, maybe I'm an automotive sadist?

I suspect that will chime with some folks on here...

...Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

But nil desperandum, you're nearly there. Hope it isn't too many ???'s. But maybe someone has one to spare? Anyone?

Good Luck - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brettfcars » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Hi,
Thorght i would show this, a Concentric slave cylinder.
It would apear to replace the worn and broken part on your gearbox and replace with a uprated one, along with a "improved clutch slave cylinder" ?
Although not cheep !

Just check aprox 1/2 way down this page
http://www.davebean.com/specials4.htm

http://www.davebean.com/images/slavecyl.jpg

As can be seen it's on a well known American site, but I expect Burtonpower or Qed etc will also sell them as the gearbox is a ford based 3 rail.
In fact they may be able to help with a replacement original part !

if fact a search found this !
which i believe maybe the exact part your after :D

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-cat ... 2e500.html

Brett
brettfcars
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:21 am

The steel input shaft housing is the bit that has broken, and I've had that happen twice, once about 35 years ago!

I would avoid concentric slaves like the plague. Quite a few modern cars have them, and when they fail, which they do and have on one of my cars, the gearbox has to come out to replace it. In operation it doesn't seem to give any advantages, and failure costs a small fortune to sort.

The slave cylinder on the Elan couldn't be simpler, and lasts for many years.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:46 am

There are two kinds I believe that are early and late. the later one has some meat to it but I doubt that they are interchangeable. I don't know that for certain as I haven't looked at these for a while.
Attachments
early and late gearbox bearing retainer.JPG and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve G » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks for all your replies, great info there. In your picture Gary, the steel input shaft housing looks to be about four times the gauge of the piece that has broken off, either mine is about 80% worn through or it is some sort of sleeve/shim. The hole drilled in it makes me think it's the latter. I will have to have a look at the gearbox end tonight (still in the car) and work out what's going on.

Has anyone experience of the shaft housing being sleeved like this?
Steve G
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Steve G wrote:Thanks for all your replies, great info there. In your picture Gary, the steel input shaft housing looks to be about four times the gauge of the piece that has broken off, either mine is about 80% worn through or it is some sort of sleeve/shim. The hole drilled in it makes me think it's the latter. I will have to have a look at the gearbox end tonight (still in the car) and work out what's going on.

Has anyone experience of the shaft housing being sleeved like this?

Yes, I thought it was a shim, but couldn't really think of the "Why?"

Have your camera handy tonight. I'd like to see what you find.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: iancockshull » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Hello Steve

Was it you that had the misfortune of the flywheel bolts failing and allowing the flywheel to become free upon over-revving when the throttle pedal stuck? If so, perhaps this more recent failure was effected at the time.

Just a thought. Ian
iancockshull
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Do you have a five speed box? Looks like it could be the same part from the "maxi" 5 speed box...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: