4 speed gearbox input shaft dimensions

PostPost by: worzel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:18 am

Hi

Lots of apologies for asking this (again!) but- I just wanted to make sure my info was exactly right before going any further and I know somebody has supplied some of this info before

If somebody out there has a handy 4 speed box could they confirm the following measurements (or challenge them)-

Distance from front face of box (without the bellhousing fitted) to start of splines- 100 mm

Spline length-43mm

Distance from end of splines ie nose end to end of shaft- 32mm

Plus (asking a lot I know) if somebody has a std 4 speed clutch friction disc could they measure the length of the splined section.

Many thanks

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:34 am

John

I have my 4-speed on the bench at the moment so I measured for you. I agree with the 43 and 32mm measurements however I get 85mm from front face of gearbox to the start of splines, compared to the 100mm you quoted.

The spline thickness of my clutch plate splined section I get 25mm.

Hope this helps you!
Ian.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: slowsprinter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:58 am

John

Further to your questions that appear on my phone but not on this thread on my PC :?

I can confirm that my 85mm measurement is from the flat face of the box to the start of the splines.

Depth of bellhousing is 173mm

Yes I am saying that the input shaft protudes 85+43+32=160mm from the flat face of the box.

Finally I get 54mm from the flat face of the engine (to which the bellhousing bolts) to the outer face of the flywheel. I hope that is what you are asking.

Unable to help more as I am away from home soon for a couple of weeks.

Ian.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/slowsprinter/
Lagoon Blue over White 1972 Sprint DHC
slowsprinter
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: