T9 gearbox conversion

PostPost by: tower of strength » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:50 pm

good point about the duratec John, i'd forgotten that it was back to front!!
:oops:

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:24 pm

Surely can't be any worse than twin cam exhaust on a lhd car?
I'm putting in the 1600 zetec(focus) engine,it too is reversed,but the gains outweigh the extra exhaust hassle.just bought bellhousing to mate it to alan voigts' five speed conversion.should be running next week....
or not! :roll:
Martin
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"
Monty Python's The Life Of Brian,best film ever.
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Well, it's a year since I started this thread on the T9 box that I'm trying to fit to my +2. Over that year the body has been restored, but is due to go back for some correctional work over Christmas. Before it goes I'm trying to fit the engine and gearbox to the car - the idea being that if there's some fettling to do I could get it tidied up while the car's there.

So I tried to fit the engine this afternoon. It's a tight fit - manouevering to the nearest mm - it's my first time, working on my own, so I've been taking my time.

Here's a piccy of the T9 box:

The problem is the thing sticking out of the top. It's a spring loaded plunger that keeps the box in gear. It fouls on the underside of the body, and I can't get the engine and gearbox past a certain point; I need to get the gearbox tail into the tunnel of the chassis, but then the front of the sump is sitting on the steering rack, and I can't get it any further.

Has anyone else had this problem with a T9 fit? What's the solution? Do I have to cut a slot in the body? I've never heard of this if I do have to.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Sean.
Attachments
T9 box.jpg and
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:26 pm

Sean,

This was one of the problems I encountered when I did the prototype installation in my Spyder chassied Plus Two.

When you are pulling /replacing the engine + gearbox as a unit, the selector detent spring unit fouls the bulkhead.

I got around this by fitting/replacing with the detent unit removed. It can be removed /replaced with the gearbox (almost) in position with a sawn-off 19mm ratchet ring spanner. The usual gynacological skills of a good Lotus mechanic are very useful for this job.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Sean, thanks for that. Very helpful! As you know trying to fit the engine is tricky until you've got some practice, so that's useful.

So, it sounds like you've got the same large detent spring assembly. I've found pictures on the web of the same model of t9 as the one I have - it's the later one. I've attached the pics. As you can see these pics show a small dome on the top plate instead of the relatively huge spring assembly that I've got. Has the dome been removed on purpose - my assembly looks like it's been welded on there as a afterthought. Would a non modified top plate fit?

Once the box is in place, and I refit the detent spring assembly, won't it foul the underside of the body? If not then great.

Thanks again.

Sean.
Attachments
typentopcover.jpg and
5-speedlatertype.jpg and
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:50 pm

John,

I have an MT75 bolted to my Twincam, it fits in the chassis just fine( a bit of tickling with the grinder is needed around the top near the body/chassis mount points on the trans tunnel. I made my own gearbox cross member that takes the lotus/ford standard 4 speed mount, The out put flange needs to changed for a transit one, I've made my own gear stick/shift mechanism using a rose joint and a simple swivel bush.

The gearbox to use is not from LHD cars, this is bull dust, the gear box you need is from the Ford Scorpio, 1995 on models (the one with the bugeyed sulky look)any of the 4 cylinder ones will fit, it has a concentric slave arangement and the starter on the drivers side. the fly wheel/clutch needs changing to a fiesta XR2 Flywheel (MK1 crossflow jobbie) if you can find one, or burtons do a crossflow/T/C flywheel with a ringear to suit a pre engaged starter motor.I'm going to try a capri flywheel and clutch to see if that fits (?58 complete clutch cant be bad!!!) and use the scorpio starter motor. I'll post a link to some pictures of the box and its fitting in the chassis, (its too much like hard work to reduce them for posting on here):
the Scorpio gearbox:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p42/ ... 0199-1.jpg

engine/box in chassis:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p42/ ... 000200.jpg

Gear Shift:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p42/ ... 000324.jpg

hope this is of interest
regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:08 pm

Sean,

The cover with the "blister" is new to me. I think the original Alan Voights cover and detent unit was different to the original T9. It might be no harm contacting Alan for the latest.

It's been three years since I fitted my T9, but looking at your photo, there seems to be a detent spring adjuster bolt on top of the "spud" If I remember correctly, I may have cut this off and brazed on a shorter fixed cap to minimise the height of the "spud"

But I haven't had to disturb it since..... Great set up, especially with a 3.55 diff.

Sean Murray
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Sean,

That's interesting. I wonder if this is not an issue for the baby elan, which I believe is the car that Alan targeted his conversion kit at. My spud, which is an excellent technical term for it, certainly does have what looks like an adjustment bolt on it. I think a call to Alan is in order, just to find out why. If there's no particular reason for it then I think I'll look for a replacement standard top plate.

Thanks again.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:22 am

the bump as you call it on the T9 top cover is standard ford fare, its the gearbox breather!! theres a small hole in it. The arrangement on the Voight box is possiblya replacement for the reverse gear locking plate, this normally sits just below where Voight has put the gear shift on the standard box.

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks Mark, that makes sense. I haven't had a chance to try the engine fit again just yet - can't see any reason why it won't go in now - just need to determine whether the plunger needs to be modified.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:09 pm

I tried a type 9 in the chassis(body off) attatched to the bottom end, pics available but they are big files!! The selector tube along the top of the box prevents it from being raised up level, because of this(possibly) the speedo drive housing on the box fouled the reinforcing webs inside the chassis. Obviously removing the selector tube as per worzels conversion and the Voight box aleviate this issue.
At the time I had an MT75 to hand and apart from the starter on the wrong side it seemed the easier conversion (since found the right front casing for correct starter position!.
I do like the Type 9 as a gearbox, I've driven many in specials etc over the years and it seems more in keeping with the Elan than the later MT75. I feel the need to locate an oxy kit and another type 9!!!

Regards

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: