Routing of braided clutch hose

PostPost by: pauljones » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Roger and all,

The car came this way when I got it, to be honest I never even considered the fact it should be connected cyl to cyl or even the length.perhaps I can pull it up a bit more and see.as I looked I was wondering if it's worth getting the same from the brake cyl to the servo,or even doing without it all together,thoughts please

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Jon, Thanks for measuring the hose. Mine is just under 40" so it looks like I do have the right one for my car after all.
Best of luck refitting the body, the chassis is looking good.

Paul, No doubt you could fit a flexi from master cylinder to servo but not sure why you would want to. Both components are rigidly mounted and there is no need to cater for relative movement between them so fixed piping can be used. The clutch pipe however must have a flexible element as the master cylinder is body mounted and the slave moves with the engine.
As for the pros and cons of removing the servo, this has been discussed at length on here many times - suggest you do a search and sit down to a couple of hours of reading !

Regards,
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am

PM lists different hoses for Elan and +2, both say "cyl to cyl" so perhaps they are different lengths and you have the shorter one.

Paul Matty do two types of braided hose for the Plus 2 clutch. One goes cylinder to cylinder, the other, a shorter one, goes from the rigid hose attached to the chassis to the bellhousing bracket. Basically replacing the rubber one.

Presume the same applies to the Elan?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:04 pm

deleted a wrong comment of mine.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi. I managed to get my braided hose straight onto the clutch slave cylinder with a little adaptor, and made sure there was no strain on the fitting by securing the hose with P clips onto the bulkhead. It seems pretty neat now. I have a T9 box so can't really make any suggestions for the other end. I didn't like the idea of a length of copper pipe then a joint - nothing wrong with that though.

Here's a photo:

braided clutch hose.jpg and
Braided clutch hose fitting to master cylinder

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: