limited slip diff.

PostPost by: Gray » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi

Just a thought, would the quaife be good in slippery conditions such as snow or ice. Not really considering for my Elan, although could be tempted, but lots of slopes here in Devon and when it is snowy or icy it can be a problem with 2wd. My Audi S3 with quattro was brilliant last winter, but our Focus gets wheelspin fairly easily.

Regards Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:40 pm

I agree a quaiffe torque biasing diff is probably better on the road in most situations. I dont think donuts would be any problem with one.

Using a plate type lsd may give you a surge problem with donuts as it locks and unlocks in tight corners.

The Elan is a relatively light car and the plate type salisbury diffs will tend to give you more understeer on turn in due to the diff being locked at the start of the corner and it will tend to make the car more unstable in the corner with the diff plates locking and unlocking at times through the corner.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fjbm » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 am

bcmc33 wrote:
curly type 26 wrote:Dont use roto flexes with LSD you need one of the solid rear systems ( quoted in chris harveys ) elan book page 208, :D Curly

Giving it a little more thought - would not roto flexes confuse both the LSD & TBD?

So you mean if I keep the donuts I should use the std diff, right?

Did anyone ever tried the phantom grip? Will the samething happen if I fit it but keep the donuts?

Thanks
fjbm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 am

fjbm wrote:
bcmc33 wrote:
curly type 26 wrote:Dont use roto flexes with LSD you need one of the solid rear systems ( quoted in chris harveys ) elan book page 208, :D Curly

Giving it a little more thought - would not roto flexes confuse both the LSD & TBD?

So you mean if I keep the donuts I should use the std diff, right?

Did anyone ever tried the phantom grip? Will the samething happen if I fit it but keep the donuts?

Thanks

Why would you want to keep donuts?
If you have any thoughts about needing an LSD/TBD - retaining donuts would be the last thing I would think of.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:38 pm

I have been staying out of this one but Brian makes an important point -

if your want for an lsd/tbd is driven by the need to control wheel spin , you have the makings for catastrophic donut failure .

George

BTW - my understanding on how best to blow up donuts is with brutal downshifts.....
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:04 pm

My motivation for a ,very perhaps, need for an lsd is that I had an lsd of some sort, I know not what, in a Westfield. The car wasn`t that poweful but power oversteer was available at the twitch of the right foot, breaking traction rather than improving it. This was very entertaining but, more particularly, I was thinking that this would be very useful taking tight turns around cones on tests.
Jim
P.S. Loathe though I am (not !) to be pedantic but Colin`s Christian name was Anthony, as in ACBC
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Jim ,

I know colin's is really tony , and you're certainly not the first to point it out - it's reason for being there is not clear and would take to long to recount. In any case to make up for the signature and be clear - there is a reason why you don't see donuts on track elans . they fail, some time with out warning, the MTBF drops with horsepower and aggression.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: