Gearbox swop?

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:44 pm

It was not a bearing carrier John. It was a complete spigot in 'oilite' material. (or phos' bronze if I remember)

I did not try for it & I don't think Brian did, or at least he has not said anything regarding.

?? Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans4dhc » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:07 pm

Alex,
It could be that Christmas has come a few days early for you. I was rummaging through my "parts-not-needed-but-too-good-to-throw-away" bin and I came upon an unused Lotus 5-speed gearbox support bracket, but for a Spyder chassis. The only difference is that it's too narrow to bridge between the Lotus chassis flanges but it would be a simple matter for you to overcome that shortcoming.
Regards,
Andrew
elans4dhc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Great Andrew..Many thanks..

Not much to report though. 4 speed is still in the car. Snow again!! & I could not get Carol's car out from under the Lotus so could not lower the ramp etc... :?

Going to tell Sue M.. to hold onto the crate until the weather breaks.

Question. Good idea? (or not!) to make access plate on the body tunnel just behind the gearshift to allow getting at the speedo drive etc? Ali plate shaped to fit and held with say 4 or 5 mm csk stainless setscrews into rivnuts. Whip it off when needed to get at some of the bits n bobs...

What does the team think?

Al.....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Alex that is a sensible idea when i finished mine ran for about 20 miles then bloody speedo packed up
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks..Brian gave me the tip really, & he will no doubt agree it's a good Idea. Its a pig to get at the speedo drive apparently..

I will start to this tomorrow methinks.. Unless anyone says no no no...

Still not getting any parcel or mail deliveries... :?

Happy days but I'm now pissed off with the Snow... Frustrated that I cant get on with it... :roll:

Al'..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:35 am

alexblack13 wrote:Great Andrew..Many thanks..

Not much to report though. 4 speed is still in the car. Snow again!! & I could not get Carol's car out from under the Lotus so could not lower the ramp etc... :?

Going to tell Sue M.. to hold onto the crate until the weather breaks.

Question. Good idea? (or not!) to make access plate on the body tunnel just behind the gearshift to allow getting at the speedo drive etc? Ali plate shaped to fit and held with say 4 or 5 mm csk stainless setscrews into rivnuts. Whip it off when needed to get at some of the bits n bobs...

What does the team think?

Al.....

Will it not weaken the backbone?

Perhaps a steel plate with LOTS of screws, like an aeroplane access hatch.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 am

billwill wrote:Will it not weaken the backbone?

I've made one hatch to get at the gearbox/propshaft flanges. You could add another two and still not affect the torsional integrity of the backbone.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:29 pm

I was hoping to reach around the chassis. I will need to look carefully to check it's worth doing. If it is too tight around the gearstick aperture what's the point?

I'll have a look later.. Don't want to be cutting the chassis if I can help it..But.. it could be woth looking at a small well secured access plate.

Brought back some special CSK rivnuts from our italian factory last week as I (and Andrew) have a few jobs for them.

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi Guys,

I trust you all had a happy and peaceful Xmas and are now ready for the new year. I am looking forward to it anyway. We will have a new addition to the family soon (3 weeks approx) and I am still footering away with the gearbox conversion.

I don't yet have the box or the clutch parts as I decided that with the bad weather and the resulting backlog of deliveries etc it would be wise to hold the delivery until the new year. Sue very much agreed. In fact I think she suggested it, so I am expecting delivery now around mid Jan'.

Meanwhile... I have been footering as I said and everything is ready now to accept the gearbox when it arrives.

I took a little 'skim' off the flywheel to remove some slight wear & I fitted a couple of steel rivnuts to the gearbox mounting as posted above... Here's a couple of pic's..
Attachments
006 [800x600].JPG and
004 [800x600].JPG and
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Can anyone tell me (sketch perhaps?) what mod's are required to be done to the 4 speed gearbox mounting plate to allow its use with the 5 speed Lotus box?

Had a good look around (from the inside!!)the engine bay today looking for anything untoward. Found only one small issue where my K&N filter had had a slight chew at the wiring loom which ran up behind it. I had the loom secured with a tie wrap clip popped to the body. It made the space a little tight. Had to repair 1 cable and take off the securing clip to give some more space.

Lubed the lamp pivots etc and checked all the earth con's... All still v good. Lubed the steering rack and the trunnions (again)

Now waiting on the box of bits from Sue Miller and the rebuilding starts...

Prop' shaft going off next week for checking and balancing.

Feckin cold in the garage though... BBbbbrrrrr..

Alex B.... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Can anyone tell me (sketch perhaps?) what mod's are required to be done to the 4 speed gearbox mounting plate to allow its use with the 5 speed Lotus box?

Alex,

I thought I'd sent you a picture and an explanation - maybe I was only dreaming.
Modified Bracket.JPG and

1. Remove the two support pieces.
2. Reverse the bracket so that the rear fixing holes now become the front fixing holes.
3. Make two new holes for the rear fixing, and maybe elongate the front holes.
Note: my chassis already had two tapped holes for the rear fixings, so all I had to do was drill holes in the bracket to suit.
If your chassis does not have these tapped holes then you will need to add rivnuts to suit the bracket.

I hope this helps.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks Brian.. Thats job 1 for now...

AB
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi Guys,
Just a short report. Mounting is sorted ..Thanks Brain.. and the transmission tunnel access plate done too.

Prop shaft is away fo a complete rebuild and balance (not taking any chances there!).Back soon but no rush..

Don't you just love transport companies? One of our regularly used ones had the job of uplifting my box of bits from Sue Miller on Tues with delivery ''a couple of days'' later.Friday at latest. They were given Sue's tel number to arrange and told to call & they have both my tel' numbers. Sat until mid PM Friday and no box. Called the company who said it will be with you tomorrow morning. IE today.. Still no show. Phoned again to be told a cock up had happened and the box was not even uplifted yet!! :shock:

Feckin speechless!! Hopeless bunch of tossers blamed Sue for not being in.She was.They just never called!!

Changed company now and arranging again for next week..

Al' ....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Alex, a quick item. Make sure you test the reverse light switch prior to installing the box. Mine on the MT75 is very difficult to access; not sure on the Lotus box.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Good point! I did do with the 4 speed but it can be reached. Idid it with the box on the bench. Metered it and screwed it in with rev' selected. Dink!! my meter makes a cool sound :lol: :lol: Continuity! tighten locknut...

Is the 5 speed switch the same? If its not I don't have one yet!! :roll: :roll:

My Box of bits from Sue Miller WAS picked up today. Halliflamminluya! A transport company that actually did what they said they were going to do.. Delivery between 9 and 12 tomorrow..Believe it when I see it.

Heh!....Soon the fun begins.Soon.. :shock: :roll:

Al' ..... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: