Differential mounting rubber spacer

PostPost by: Lars Madsen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi all,

What is the proper name for the rubber spacer used in the differential mounting setup? I found that mine were quite flat and unusable when removing the differential. I am now wondering if these are still available from PM or other places or if I should just replace them with pieces of thick rubber?
Of yes, now that I am at it there is a felt seal ring on the front uprights, do they have a name? They seem to be in the same state (that is mostly dust) as the rubber spacers in the differential mountings.

Regards,
Lars
Attachments
diff.JPG and
Lars Madsen
New-tral

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 pm

The item (2 washers) that are highlighted in blue are supposed to be steel 2 inch in diameter by 1/8 inch thick washers with a 3/8 inch hole for the bolt. If you have the Sprint diff strengthening bracket there is only one washer below (instead of two) and one above the Frustacone mount. This is to prevent the differential mounts (frustacones) from pulling though the hole in the chassis.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Lars Madsen wrote:Of yes, now that I am at it there is a felt seal ring on the front uprights, do they have a name?

I am not really sure which part you are referring to but the only felt item I am aware of on the front suspension is the inner wheel bearing seal. This is a felt ring held in a metal ring. The service parts listings refer to these as seal assemblies. There are three part numbers for the Elan with bolt-on or knock-on wheels and the +2. Theses are:
Elan, Bolt-On Wheels: 036 C 6018
Elan, Knock-On Wheels: 036 C 6002
Elan +2: 050 C 6002
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lars Madsen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Thank you very much for your help Gary and Russ - much appreciated. Very confusing with the rubber parts I found in the differential mountings. Anyway; glad to know how it should be.
Russ; You are right. I just found this old post:
http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-plus-f13/front-suspension-assembly-t19004.html
which shows the seal as well.

Bad memory, an 8-year restoration project (so far) and not-so-great mechanical skills makes for a tricky project. :)
Strangely it took a lot less time to pull everything apart 8 years ago than to put it together again now. :wink:

Thanks again! :D
Lars Madsen
New-tral

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 am

Is a spring washer (arrowed) as well as a plain washer used beneath the diff?

Or are these an extra 2 x plain washer?
Attachments
diffmount.jpg
diffmount.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:31 am

I have not seen lock (split, spring) washers used under the head of a bolt. The washers with the arrow pointing at them are plain flat washers.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 pm

You will most likely not be able to fit 2 washers of ANY description under the head bolt, and why would you want to, as the bolt will not be long enough to then thread the nylock nut on, to reach the nylon part of it.

And secondly, it is generally considered a better practice to fit the bolts the other way up, as the head of the bolts as shown, will fowl on the diff output shafts when you are trying to fit them, whereas fitted the other way, ie. with the head of the bolt at the top of the assembly, makes for a much easier instalation of the diff.

LMS
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:44 pm

I had already noted that (as far as I was concerned) the bolt was the wrong way round in the diagram. (Ok perhaps for the +2 but not the car which the manual purports to "support").

I was really wondering why the diagram also showed a couple of what appeared to be extraneous washers.

The diagram is confusing and shouldn't be in the workshop manual.

Another point about documentation - why aren't the diff mounts and associated hardware listed in Section R (or any other section) of the Lotus Elan Service Parts List?
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm

here you go.

Gary
Attachments
plus2 torque rods parts manual.jpg and
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:04 pm

as the head of the bolts as shown, will fowl on the diff output shafts when you are trying to fit them

not in my experience - unless you are spot on with you measurements when ordering a set of AN bolts and then use 1/2 height AN nuts the protrusion will be greater with the nut and shank of the bolt facing downward , it will never be less -
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Lars, those diff mounts/Frustacones/diff hangers are available and the new ones are very nice units and should only last you about another 40 years ! Just refer to the comments and diagrams regarding proper installation.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Lars, th items you are highlighting are spacer washers to get the differential in correct position to avoid contacting chassis, not rubber, the rubber mounting is as others have stated available and worth replacing...

Cheers

V
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: