CV Joints suspension droop

PostPost by: bast0n » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:19 pm

"not to put too much of a point on it ALL irs cars need a limiter to avoid positive camber over steer -and droop control "

So states Twicamman.

I note he lives at Niagra Falls and going over THAT might drop your suspension to full droop! :?

Happy non droop motoring for the rest of us, as we have done since 1966 in my case!!

David
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bobashton » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:24 am

Just picked up on this post, I have some experience of this issue. I fitted a set of Susan's drive shafts last year, I was a little dissapointed when the fitting instructions stipulated not to allow the suspension to go to full droop at any time, even when stationary. I drive the Elan relatively sedately but had always been distressed at the contortions of the rotoflexes when jacking up and working around the rear end. As the flexes are at least ten years old, when I got the car (and probably double that according to the history log) I went for the Miller driveshafts for peace of mind.
Fitting was pretty straightforward and the instructions were followed to the letter. When I dropped the car onto its wheels and drove slowly out of the garage, the outboard joint on one side tore out of its housing and sheared off completely. I called Susan, as ever she was very apologetic and sent a new shaft by return of post which I duly fitted and they have performed beautifully ever since.
Until I read this thread I assumed I had just been unlucky with the one in a thousand driveshaft that had some inherent manufacturing/assembly defect but it now seems that the bullet proof reliability may be an issue; which is a shame as the main reason for fitting was the confidence factor. I feel a bit nervous around them now.
The sad irony was that when I removed the rotoflexes expecting knarled and decaying rubber on the brink of destruction, they all looked pretty immaculate! Ah well, I guess you shouldn't own one of these cars unless you have a sense of humour.
bobashton
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes over the falls would result in full droop and full pucker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: --ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Bob bashton

which is a shame as the main reason for fitting was the confidence factor. I feel a bit nervous around them now.

Don't be. I have had Sue/Micks driveshafts for many years and thousands of hard miles and they have been totally reliable and make so much sense. Yes I let them go to full droop when working on the rear, and no, I have had no problems with that scenario either.

Be of good cheer me hearty, the boss says he knows what he is doing!!

You need these if you are going to carry this much booze!! New thread? How much booze can you get in an Elan..................... :D

David

David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: