CV Driveshafts

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:37 pm

'Dogrings'. Weird name and I dont see the connection with CV driveshafts.

I curious the 'forward inertia that drives the wheel and axle forward' that is mentioned on their website?

One or two other points look a bit suspect to, a suggestions to increasing the track 0.15", how would one do that on an Elan, make new rear 'A' links? (and then have to modify the Lotocone chassis mount. I can see lots of owners rushing out to do that! Also whilst conversant with most USA names for parts of cars, what 'headers' are near the rear axle?

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:59 pm

The company that sells the the donut savers specializes in parts for Hewland racing transmissions. "Dog rings" are explained pretty well here. http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles ... ewall.html

The header comment would come into play for a mid-engined car with the headers running just above the rear drive train. They're open wheel focused while we're elan focused.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm

robertverhey wrote:They're back
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FIAT-X1-9-X1 ... 27cd13f801

Personally I don't see how people expect to sell things on ebay with such an abrasive attitude....but each to their own....

Not only abrasive, but evasive too!

I asked Tom via the 'ask the seller a question', I said that he had described the shafts as 300mm long but I wanted to know the extended and compressed length?

His reply, 'They are 300mm long'!!!!

In for a penny, in for a pound, so I have asked again but did not address him as Tom this time (his eBay name is tombraider) Silly me thought he was Mr Braider.

Meanwhile these are the same but in much better condition, 'Remanufactured'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260668418557? ... 1423.l2649

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:27 pm

For the price, someone needs to buy a set from seller #2 and try them out! Perhaps the group can take up a collection!

Kurt

26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:21 am

Elanman99 wrote:'Dogrings'. Weird name and I dont see the connection with CV driveshafts.

I curious the 'forward inertia that drives the wheel and axle forward' that is mentioned on their website?

One or two other points look a bit suspect to, a suggestions to increasing the track 0.15", how would one do that on an Elan, make new rear 'A' links? (and then have to modify the Lotocone chassis mount. I can see lots of owners rushing out to do that! Also whilst conversant with most USA names for parts of cars, what 'headers' are near the rear axle?

Ian

>I curious the 'forward inertia that drives the wheel and axle forward' that is mentioned on their website?

I think they just mean that if the inner doughnut comes apart while running, the side-shaft may flail about with the total energy of the forward motion of the car available to it, and if it should catch on anything the force will be great enough to break or bend lots of things.

~~~

It might be possible to compensate that 0.15 inches by fitting one or both doughnuts through the 'wrong' holes. Normally we fit them with the raised ends against the side-shaft or diff shaft. Fitting in the depressed holes would make the overall length a little shorter. Not sure if that would cause other problems.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm

billwill wrote:It might be possible to compensate that 0.15 inches by fitting one or both doughnuts through the 'wrong' holes. Normally we fit them with the raised ends against the side-shaft or diff shaft. Fitting in the depressed holes would make the overall length a little shorter. Not sure if that would cause other problems.

I've seen the result of fitting to the 'depressed' holes. The 'spiders' of the various shafts cut into the donut. That I would think would lead to premature failure.

How did we get here from CVs......? :oops:
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: