CV Driveshafts

PostPost by: ianf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 am

Hi Andy I fitted my MM drive shafts in 2007 and I have a note that they cost ?537.56, however I don't have the invoice to hand so that may have included other bits! Mine have done about 7,000 miles since fitting (must get out more!) and although I check the bolts annually (as I do everything underneath) they haven't come loose. There has been mo obvious accelerated wear of any other bushes diff mountings etc and they have made the transmission smoother suggesting that the old shafts weren't quite true. Sue is a lovely lady to deal with as a bonus!

I'm based in Surrey as well between Woking and Guildford so if you want to have a look I'm happy to show you the car. Just pm me.

Cheers,

Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Likewise, I'm in Woking and have the ElanTrikBits shafts if you want to compare.

paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:50 am

Thank you both for the feedback. I may well take you up on the offer.

I came across a reference in one of the (many) CV threads for the need to reduce the diameter of the fixing bolts on the Sue Miller kit slightly in order to get them to fit through the holes in the stub axle and diff output shafts.

Is this the case, or did I misunderstand the thread?

Thanks,

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:02 am

I had a friend turn the studs [in the Mick Miller kit] down by 8 thou on the unthreaded bit to make the fitting easier; I think that it's not that the kit is poorly made but that the three-eared half shafts etc are out of shape from years of use and abuse or maybe never manufactured to a high tollerance.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ianf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:19 am

I didnt have to do that, the "safety pins" on the diff output shafts need grinding off if present (I had one on one side!) and it is a bugger of a job fitting them as they are necessarily an exact fit. I received some advice from a chap on here which I can probably find and pass on!

Cheers, Ian
ianf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:51 am

VAT.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi all,

If I may add my two pence worth,I have just had my Sue Miller shafts fitted. Yes there a bit pricey and with the vat increase even more so,However they are a quality item,transform the car in a positive manner,and Sue is a lovely lady too,a real gem in our little world.I do not have any connection just a very happy customer,and I have used her services and advice a few times.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks everyone.

Looks like Sue will be getting an order.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gwiz22 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Andy,

I too have MM driveshafts from Susan on my Plus 2 and also think they transformed the car but I guessed you realise that this would be the case from all the other positive posts you have had.

Regarding fitting and the bolts. I found it a frustrating job and also had trouble getting the new bolts through the inner and outer shafts. My thoughts at the time were that the drive shaft holes had become slightly smaller due to accumulated crud and corrosion over the years. Although difficult to get at, after using a bit of emery cloth on a suitable size rod and generally cleaning up the holes, the bolts fitted nicely, which of course is what you want. I too had to grind off the "failsafe" pins form the inner and outer driveshafts. You will need a good set of open ended spanners and a lot of patience.

Regarding the question of droop. A friend with a Series 3 fitted MM shafts and found they did lock on full droop. He overcame this by fitting cable suitable length between the chassis and the wishbone. This had the effect of limiting the droop so the shafts did not lockband had no detrimental affect during normal running. If you are really concerned, I'm sure he would be only to happy to advise you on this modification.

I too live in Surrey, near Woking, so if you get stuck, let me know.

Regards
Graham
gwiz22
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

Made my first set of CV Axles in 1976 for my then 65 S2. Took VW axles, shortened the axles in the center, pinned them, and then sleeved and welded them with chrome moly. Had a machinist friend make up the adapter plates using freeze pluds in the center. Worked OK until my first Solo II event. The pins broke and the chrome moly sleeves, twisted up like a Twizzler licorice. The second set were drilled male and female, pinned and welded. Never a problem again. If we used VW Bus/VW Thing CV joints, they have more angularity and may not bind at full droop.

Famous Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm

The Elantrikbits shafts use Lobro joints from a VW and they don't bind on full droop.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ceejay » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Thanks Paddy, that is correct, and as you know, the conversion is also very easy
to install... no need to mess around trying to make bolts fit... you shouldn't
have to do that, we carry out various tests throughout the manufacture of
each conversion to make sure they do fit when you receive your order.

Simply remove your old donuts and intermediate half shafts, inspect the
diff out put and wheel hub shaft spider yoke bolt holes, if all is OK,
install the conversion... no need to machine bolts or enlarge any holes,
it will slip straight in... the process can be easily reversed if for some
strange reason, you wanted to go back to the old donuts.

elantrikbits drive shafts do not require limiting cables or straps, take a
few minutes to watch the demo video below to see the extreme working angles
the system is capable of:
Click To Watch Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfuqmifnEPU
Engineered to last the distance.
ceejay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:13 pm

The CV axle kits we use come complete with the diff output axles, don't require droop limiting straps, use new CVs and are perfectly racecar useable for those with large tires and high output engines. The original diff output axles eventually fail on rotoflex couplings so at the very least they should crack tested when using a CV axle kit that doesn't include them. We only sell CV axles because we don't trust the current crop of rotoflex couplings at all.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: StoatWithToast » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:42 pm

Just finalised an order with Sue (MM). Not long replaced to rotoflexes, but it was a right pain of a job and I don't really like the feel of them all that much. I don't worry about them breaking at all, but my wife does.

I am looking forward to fitting the kits, getting the engine back, and getting out in for a drive in the sun :)
Dave
'06 Elise SportsRacer 111R
'72 Sprint FHC (and staying that way) - 0479
'65 XI Replica
[And a Subaru, but I don't think that counts ;)]
StoatWithToast
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:31 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-X1-9-X19 ... c95&_uhb=1

What do you think to these? He says they are Fiat X19 shafts but they fit the Elan?
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: