Worn out rear drive shaft?

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:51 am

Hi Richard!
I think your mechanic is referring to the splines in your driveshaft conversion. your car has hardy spicer joints and solid(sliding spline) driveshafts fitted.It's a shame you no longer live in the area, cheers for now,
Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Dag-Henning » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:12 am

Hi Thor ! ( or "hei" as we say in Norway !) Good to see a fellow countryman having traded his Triumph for a Lotus.........See you next saturday on the Classic and Sportscar Festival ??
Dag-H.
Dag-Henning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: richardhallett99 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:24 am

Gentlemen

Many thanks for all of your advice - I have been away for a couple of days to find myself swamped with messages. I think overwhelmingly you all recommend that I get a second opinion! I will do just that and post their view.

Whilst the noise is a defined "crack" it is not too loud, has not worsened over the last six months, only occurs when I either change gear or at the same instant that I flatten my foot on the accelerator in first or second. The noise is definately in the rear half of the car - and it is hard to tell whether it is in one corner or the other.

I do not think that my mechanic is inept - perhaps his powers of articulation are not what they should be and it is my lackof understanding at the problem?

Either way - if anyone has a very basic way to diagnose such a problem I would be continually grateful for their advice.

Rich
richardhallett99
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: